Here's a little tip on cleaning rust

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I'm in the process of redoing a Streethawk and the center plate and mounts for the speaker were rusty. If you don't have a sandblaster or don't want to use a power drill brush to clean with.

So I took one of those tubs you get when you're in the hospital or any tube will do depending on how big your metal will be.

And a parts cleaning brush, a stainless steel tooth brush, rubber gloves, magic eraser , Dawn and a bottle of The Works bathroom toilet cleaner.

I put the pieces in the tub poured the Works in you can add hot water too over it let it set for awhile (might want to make sure you have plenty of ventilation you're working with acid). Then take the brushes and start scrubbing parts brush will take it off the light rust and the stainless will do the rest. The wash with soap and use eraser to deactivate the acid.

Then I used Gun blue paste on it. Or you can paint.

Here's how they turned out. Might put a light coating of oil on it the same has I would if I had redone a barrel.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
I also like soaking in vinegar, destroys rust overnight. Also heard scrubbing with crumpled up aluminum foil can clean rust safely from chrome but never tried that one.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
twodogs603 said:
A stainless steel tooth brush? :undecided:

yeah they make nylon, brass, and stainless steel for gun cleaning and they look like a toothbrush.

And the stainless steel won't dissolve in the Works solution which is 20% hydrogen chloride.

p_353013000_1.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
LED said:
I also use a brush/scraper to get bubbles or chunks off then apply: Eastwood Rust Converter Quart Paint on & Stop Corrosion - Newegg.com, or something similar (same chemical). Works great.

If you can afford it. I was talking rust not paint.

And you can buy a quart bottle of The Works Toilet cleaner at the dollar store for a $1.00. Compared to your web site Eastwood is $29.99 a quart.

Also good one JD on the Pic for the stainless steel brush. :thumbsup:

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Torpedo said:
I also like soaking in vinegar, destroys rust overnight. Also heard scrubbing with crumpled up aluminum foil can clean rust safely from chrome but never tried that one.

Coca Cola does too! Soak over night, wipe the remnants with a towel and wah-lah.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
NFD-102 said:
Coca Cola does too! Soak over night, wipe the remnants with a towel and wah-lah.

And once it's done the job, you can drink the Coke. Win-win! :thumbsup:

TCRescue

Jul 15, 2012
Kentucky
Torpedo said:
Also heard scrubbing with crumpled up aluminum foil can clean rust safely from chrome but never tried that one.

Scrubbing with aluminum foil does work on other types of metals but I haven't ever tried it on chrome

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.