Hey, Tell me your honest critique. Signal Stat NYPD Siren Setup (new pics 04/06/2011)

pdfootman

Dec 12, 2010
u.s/ny
Well after an exhausting crusade on trying to piece together the correct siren box for my 1974 NYPD resto ... this is what I was able to produce....

This is an original booklet picture of the STAT 8 and Control Center so you see what it is supposed to look like...:

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/Elightbars009-2.jpg

This is what I was able to make.....

The Stat 8 was originally out of a NYPD vehicle... works... restored the front... and it has both the Hi-lo and Wail .... hi-lo off the manual button, and wail off the siren switch... same sounds as the Stat 6, just no selector switch for continuous hi-lo. Correct blue Shure mic.

The Control Center I custom made... impossible to find a original.... stenciled the emblems and all...What a pain in the ***..... with the correct desk lamp andcorrect cole hersee switches

Motorola T-power Radio custom made the braket, and temporarily rewired the head so that the red light works when the on switch is thrown... and the green light comes on when you key the handset... Would love to set up so that the radio works... but have yet to find a trunk radio, antenna, and harness for a t power....

Correct Handset w/ correct mounting cup.

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_4082.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4081.jpg

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_4080.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4077.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!!!

BTW: still looking for a Signal Stat 58W siren speaker for the bar if anyone comes accross one... and would still like to find a Stat 6 siren box to be exact...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pics requested...

These are pics of my restored light bar...(spare).... #389 with small extended can lights, large 100w signal stat speaker, and 374 fast domes (NYPD 1975 to 1978) Restored it myself....

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_4084.jpg

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_4083.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4091.jpg

These are pics of the bar that will actually be put on my car.....389 bar, 374 slow spinning domes w/ refinished original 375 clear domes and T2 Trio large Par 46 cans (ready for paint) (NYPD 1973 & 1974)

.... NEED THE SPEAKER .... Help!!! :bonk: :)

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4093.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4094.jpg

pic of the speaker

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/DSC01806-vi.jpg

and a pic of the car....

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_37051.jpg

BTW fixed the lights on the t power .... THANKS

Will be listing a whole lot of stuff shortly to keep funding this project .... will post in the for sale section if anyone is interested.... sirens, domes, bulbs, etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
I can supply the radio. I have several available, but I believe that they are they are the 4 channel units with the "extenda range" option.

What he has on there now is the Correct control head for that time era, it was a VHF High Band 2 Channel Motorola T-Power Radio, at least all of the units in the Bronx had them in the 70's.

PC Comms said:
I can supply the radio. I have several available, but I believe that they are they are the 4 channel units with the "extenda range" option.

Dude, that's amazing how you put that whole switchbox together! Use it and be proud of what you did! It may not be the real thing, but who'd notice besides you? I'd be fooled for sure :eek: . That's almost like from Signal-Stat itself! Great perseverance on your part, man :thumbsup: .

Would you share with us your little secret on how well you have done the stencils? They are truly something!

That is absolutely gorgeous! I doubt anyone but you ( and us now :razz: ) would know that was not a NOS item. Ho long did it take you to built that gem?

:jawdrop:

Great job. On a side note, does anyone know how to convert a stock SP Mark VII to do the instant yelp feature like on NYPD models?

Supposed to be cutting some jumpers or something.

I've never seen one with a wail / hi-lo switch, but I know the Stat VI has yelp and hi-lo only.

The Stat VI has a yelp tone that sounds similar to the late 1960s Federal PA15A (series 1D and earlier) and PA20A (series 2D and earlier).

Wailer said:
I've never seen one with a wail / hi-lo switch, but I know the Stat VI has yelp and hi-lo only.

The Stat VI has a yelp tone that sounds similar to the late 1960s Federal PA15A (series 1D and earlier) and PA20A (series 2D and earlier).

My mistake.... sorry.... the stat 8 has yelp and hi-lo not the wail

guy m. said:
What he has on there now is the Correct control head for that time era, it was a VHF High Band 2 Channel Motorola T-Power Radio, at least all of the units in the Bronx had them in the 70's.

Yes, he has the correct control head. What I meant is that I believe the ones I have here are 4 channel units. I will check later this afternoon. Also, as Clarence mentioned, the correct lighting configuration for it would be green as a power indicator and red is the transmit indicator. Simple matter of just switching either the bulbs or the wires going to them. I do have to say though, that is an incredible home brew switch box that you have created. I am VERY impressed!! Beautiful work.

Yes, the green is the power light. I may have the correct Motorola T-Power Cable, I will let you know.

Here is my NYPD Signal Stat Stat 6 so you guy's that have never heard one can hear it.

toon80 said:
Would you share with us your little secret on how well you have done the stencils? They are truly something!

No problem.....

The hard part was making / setting up the layout on the computer.... redid the logo from scratch (photoshop) and had to find the right fonts for the lettering .... Then I used microsoft publisher and a vernier caliper to find and duplicate the original exact measurements and position.. (height and width) (very time consuming)

Once you have your publisher file... you simply print it on transparent paper... the stencil paper I used is light sensitive

Check out this site.... rather expensive... but it works well .... my only suggestion is to follow their directions to a "t" as they are right on.... the guy there was very helpful and a gentleman.... hard to get in touch with though...

would recommend to use their thick paint so the stencil doesn't bleed... used a bug light at night to set up the sheets(per their instructions) .... used their black container ... and would recommend the "Hi Resolution" sheets for the small and precise lettering....

Takes a little practice,,,, but once you get it down.... its easy..... just time consuming...

Manufacturer of PhotoEZ and StencilPro Screen Printing Kits for Home and Office Use

PC Comms said:
Yes, he has the correct control head. What I meant is that I believe the ones I have here are 4 channel units. I will check later this afternoon. Also, as Clarence mentioned, the correct lighting configuration for it would be green as a power indicator and red is the transmit indicator. Simple matter of just switching either the bulbs or the wires going to them. I do have to say though, that is an incredible home brew switch box that you have created. I am VERY impressed!! Beautiful work.

Thankyou very much!! was the trunk part of the radio the same for a t power and a motrac or were they different??

& which color setup is correct???? the red on the right side or the red on the left side??

Please let me know if you have that radio.... that would be most cool... Thanks!

Gentleman... Thankyou very much for your comments!!! Was a bitter undertaking :bonk: , but finishing it is sweet!

THANKS! :)

Bitchin' job John, I was going to correct you on the colored bulb functions but I was beaten to it.

Super Job...can't wait to see the rest of the car if your work here is any indication.

Want to make some more...I'm sure you'd have a long list of buyers from here, including me.

Very nice job on the heads, that Sure mic. looks awesome,

I especially like the lightbars!!!

I am also building an NYPD bar, and have been looking for that ribbed speaker for over two years now. I keep posting a wanted ad for one in the vintage section every few months.

I just finished sand blasting a pair of Trio T2's, and am sending them to the powder coating company next week for white finish.

The Signal Stat 374 came stock with a "slow" motor in them, as did mine. I upgraded them by installing the motors out of model 370 (two beam, same size) beacons. They turn faster so that the two beams can still flash 90 times per minute.

I lucked out, and found two 370's that have the exact same dates on the motors !!

The 370's can be found reasonably cheap on ebay, and all you have to do is change the bulb holders.

More pictures of the car please... I love old Mopar cruisers.

Are you adding a McDeromott to it as well?

i Remember seeing this are at the show it looks nice. i do belive that NYPD was on uhf T band in the 70's already not uhf you could get a modern radio as well to make it talk nice

one of the guys i work with has the Stratford Ct PD car there

Nope, NYPD was still on high band VHF all the way through the late 70's

kitn1mcc said:
i Remember seeing this are at the show it looks nice. i do belive that NYPD was on uhf T band in the 70's already not uhf you could get a modern radio as well to make it talk nice

one of the guys i work with has the Stratford Ct PD car there

Now I know a jealous man.... me !!!

Your car will look fantastic ! Let us know when you will install it!

Give me 2 more weeks and Ill post pictures of my '78 NYPD Fury with my new Signal Stat Dual Comm on it.

Manhattan was UHF by 1978 or so, the Bronx was the last to switch over, I want to say 1982 with the arrival of the M-Body Chrysler LeBaron/Plymouth Gran Fury and the Motorola MX radios- the radios could be wedged upright into the defroster vents, against the windshield, facing the Officers.

pdfootman said:
Well after an exhausting crusade on trying to piece together the correct siren box for my 1974 NYPD resto ... this is what I was able to produce....

This is an original booklet picture of the STAT 8 and Control Center so you see what it is supposed to look like...:

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/Elightbars009-2.jpg

This is what I was able to make.....

The Stat 8 was originally out of a NYPD vehicle... works... restored the front... and it has both the Hi-lo and Wail .... hi-lo off the manual button, and wail off the siren switch... same sounds as the Stat 6, just no selector switch for continuous hi-lo. Correct blue Shure mic.

The Control Center I custom made... impossible to find a original.... stenciled the emblems and all...What a pain in the ***..... with the correct desk lamp andcorrect cole hersee switches

Motorola T-power Radio custom made the braket, and temporarily rewired the head so that the red light works when the on switch is thrown... and the green light comes on when you key the handset... Would love to set up so that the radio works... but have yet to find a trunk radio, antenna, and harness for a t power....

Correct Handset w/ correct mounting cup.

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_4082.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4081.jpg

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_4080.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4077.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!!!

BTW: still looking for a Signal Stat 58W siren speaker for the bar if anyone comes accross one... and would still like to find a Stat 6 siren box to be exact...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pics requested...

These are pics of my restored light bar...(spare).... #389 with small extended can lights, large 100w signal stat speaker, and 374 fast domes (NYPD 1975 to 1978) Restored it myself....

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_4084.jpg

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_4083.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4091.jpg

These are pics of the bar that will actually be put on my car.....389 bar, 374 slow spinning domes w/ refinished original 375 clear domes and T2 Trio large Par 46 cans (ready for paint) (NYPD 1973 & 1974)

.... NEED THE SPEAKER .... Help!!! :bonk: :)

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4093.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/IMG_4094.jpg

pic of the speaker

[Broken External Image]:http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/fldmshlschroe/DSC01806-vi.jpg

and a pic of the car....

ai671.photobucket.com_albums_vv78_fldmshlschroe_IMG_37051.jpg

BTW fixed the lights on the t power .... THANKS

Will be listing a whole lot of stuff shortly to keep funding this project .... will post in the for sale section if anyone is interested.... sirens, domes, bulbs, etc....

WOW! Hey, that light bar is unreal! Where the Heck did you find the stuff to put it together! I have a restored NYPD Fury, and I really want to get my hands on this style light bar, but it is hard to find! Seems like everyone who's had any luck has had to slowly piece one together over time. Any idea where I can look to get my hands on some of these parts, the Signal Stat clear 4 bulb rotating beacons, the can lights? I would be willing to pay GOOD $$$!!! If you have one to sell, or some of the parts to start putting one together, you might be surprised what I would be willing to pay? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and anything to sell would be GREATLY valued with a generous offer! Thanks! Chris

Wailer said:

The Signal Stats and Yankee lights and sirens came from the same manufacturer. But I'm just not sure who made them. I would suspect that Carson built the sirens, as they built for a lot of people including Whelen and SVP at one time, as well as some of the SiTrons for Unity. Either way, the ones here have some intersting variations.

Absolutely LOVE the light bar you built. Where the heck can I purchase these parts? The Signal Stat beacons? Can lights? Speaker? But most of all, those beautiful beacons! Please contact me if you or anyone you know are selling an\y of these items? Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrmills2468