Hey, we got an open mic, HEY OPEN MIC!!

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
I love the "police expert" who says the guy should be fired.... come on....

I "remove myself from public duty" on occasion too, its called a bathroom break, dinner break, etc. The guy shouldn't have been banging it out on duty, but I don't see losing his job over it. It wasn't in public (which I think is why the Mill Creek officers got fired), there is no evidence that he failed to run calls or properly supervise his officers while he was off the road. He had his radio on, so at least he was cognizant of what was happening in his area. I'd rather my beat partner be doing that and have the radio on then be asleep and not listening to the radio...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Not worth firing someone over. Write him up, put a letter in his file and move on. It was negligence.

I remember where I grew up, one of the private EMS companies had a crew working where 2 of them were dating. Well, they pulled the squad over and got busy in the back and the radio keyed. When they got back to the station, they saw several firefighters and EMT's outside clapping and they were totally confused until it was explained to them what happened.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
We have open mikes all the time, and have heard what we decided was (with a 99% probability) someone getting it on. If no one misses a call because of it and the act isn't some sort of 'I can help you out with that ticket' thing, the brass doesn't say anything. Besides, between dispatchers leaving their foot on the pedal and commenting on how bloody the movie on the tv is and my shifts cursing on air*, the 911 director has bigger issues to worry about.

*In the past year, my sgt has gone on the radio and said 'I'll be out with some jacka-- spinning doughnuts in the school parking lot' and '15 Lincoln Dispatch, traffic. Be a gray in col... What the hell are you doing, dumba--?' while I apparently don't let go of my shoulder mic quick enough when in a foot chase so 'Get the f--- on the ground!', 'I'm faster then than you, motherf---er!', and 'I'll taze you in the back, b----!' have graced all of those innocent ears in scanner land.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
FireEMSPolice said:
Not worth firing someone over. Write him up, put a letter in his file and move on. It was negligence.

I have to agree with you on this one. Who well, Just as long as someone wasnt in trouble or needing help, who cares. This is a reason why Radios need a Time out timer on it. I have all my radios set up to time out after a minute.

May 22, 2010
MI, USofA
ffjwhite said:
I have to agree with you on this one. Who well, Just as long as someone wasnt in trouble or needing help, who cares. This is a reason why Radios need a Time out timer on it. I have all my radios set up to time out after a minute.

until you're trapped in a collapsed basement trying to describe where you're at and talk over the minute? obviously, short and sweet is best in a situation like that, but don't tell me it couldn't happen :p Or giving some sort of patient assesment, scene size-up, or perp description that takes a little longer than a minute to finish?

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Of all the times I have talked on the radio I have never had to give a size up that took longer than a Minute. Even asking for Mutual aid doesn't take a minute. I cant say anything about perp info or anything like that as I don't have to deal with that, but yea a minute is a long time. Even when our EMTs transmits to the hospital doesn't take a minute. Even during Full Code transports.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Time out timer is essential, for the 1000 times people will sit on their mic while driving, compared to the 1 time you'll be trapped in that basement, and simply have to release and re-key the mic when it beeps.

Other essential is PTT ID so everyone will know who's getting it on once they release the button.

May 22, 2010
MI, USofA
NPS Ranger said:
Time out timer is essential, for the 1000 times people will sit on their mic while driving, compared to the 1 time you'll be trapped in that basement, and simply have to release and re-key the mic when it beeps.

Other essential is PTT ID so everyone will know who's getting it on once they release the button.

I suppose you have a point there, I was merely thinking of the 1 time that it might ever happen being the most important thing in the world and you don't remember that you have to rekey ... :p ... guess staticstically, you're right, it'll never happen, but still would give me pause ... :geek:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.