HHS2200 - vehicle FM radio interference

May 5, 2011
US Mid-WI
Would anybody be able to comment on possible causes for FM radio interference when the siren unit is on (not activated for tones, just powered on)?

I'm guessing with the more recent models of Whelen's siren units, the Cantrol, Cencom, newer 295 and the HHS are probably all designed/created around a similar circuitry, so the question would probably apply to any of these products.

I never noticed the FM interference when using an older 295HFS unit and separate lighting switchbox, but today I was able to determine that the 2200 unit just being powered on was generated very random sessions of FM radio interference. Turning off the unit made the radio audio crystal clear, turn it back on and there is a noticeable

difference.

The current installation has power for the unit coming right off the battery, through a fuses distribution box and grounded on the same metal frame point as the battery.

The interference seems somewhat minor at times, but randomly will generate enough interference it's like trying to listen to a station at the very fringe of the broadcast area, a lot of static.

If anybody can spell out suggestions/words of wisdom on techniques that may help address this...

Thank you

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Bad ground would be the first place I'd start looking. My HHS has never interfered with my FM radio. Maybe try grounding closer to the unit.

May 5, 2011
US Mid-WI
I have some wiring supplies arriving in a few days and I'll tear everything apart then.

Currently I do have the ground wire running to the same bolt used for the vehicle's main grounding wire. I'm not on the electrical engineering side, but considering the vehicle body is the common ground, when trying to isolate noise by using a different grounding point, it is still a common/connected 'ground.' Or is the principle that the ground connection is being dispersed throughout the entire frame and therefore another ground point will experience only a fraction if any effect from the primary ground?

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I would note more of the vehicle itself. Most of these new cars have internal FM antennas with poor coax. A break in the shielding on the coax or a headliner antenna might pick up the unwanted RF. Just my .02

May 5, 2011
US Mid-WI
very true, but considering all this never happened until the 2200 was installed, there must be something in the wiring or unit. Looks like all my supplies will be here by the end of the week. then we'll see!

May 5, 2011
US Mid-WI
Actually nothing else right now. I favored the box since it took care of all the fuses instead of having a bunch of in-wire fuses.

I do have two ULF44 flashers that are powered through the 2200 unit and grounded to the same point as everything else. Those are only powered/activated through the 2200 and are not on when I'm hearing the static. Thought they were at first since when on I can here the flash pattern equivalent through the radio.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.