High rise fires

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Towering inferno. Just another reason I prefer the suburban lifestyle.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Wow, only saw a couple videos from a far distance, was one of the cases we studied in my Fire Science classes, I think Building Construction and Fire Protection Systems.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
ff168577 said:
You can still have a high rise in a suburan area.

we have multiple high-rises in my town... which is suburban. Most of them are senior citizen apartments to. One is a hospital (multiple buildings that connect tho), and a few low-income housing buildings.

rettoded

Aug 12, 2011
Berks County,PA
1 Meridian Plaza brought to light many issues that can be associated with high rise fires. Perhaps one of the more highlighted findings from this fire was the effectiveness of automatic sprinklers. Ultimately, it was the sprinklers on the 30th floor which contained the fire, leading to it burning out. Some further reading on the fire and findings:

One Meridian Plaza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://failures.wikispaces.com/One+Meridian+Plaza,+Philadelphia,+PA

ONE MERIDIAN PLAZA

I also was talking with one of our senior dispatchers who was supervising that night. Due to the high alarm level (12), and the large number of resources on scene (51 engines, 15 ladders, 11 specialized units and over 300 firefighters), Philadelphia Fire Board contacted Montgomery County to see if additional could be sent to cover stations. This was, and still is, highly unusual as Philly never calls for outside help, especially from volunteer departments. The senior dispatcher asked for them to call back in 15 minutes. He then proceeded to check with the chiefs of some of the volunteer departments that boardered the city. Philly Fire Board called back and the senior dispatcher gave them rundown of "30 engines, 11 ladders, 2 heavy rescues and 2 utilities available." Upon hearing this, the Philly dispatcher became concerned and stated "Whoa whoa whoa we don't want to strip your county also," to which the senior dispatcher replied "We haven't even begun to scratch the surface..." It ended up that the additional units weren't needed, but certainly showed the capabilities of the volunteer departments in those days.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
That fire also brought to light the severe issues most fire departments (both then and now) had with their equipment and SOPs for fighting high rise fires. Three firefighters died that night.

You don't have to have a skyscraper to have the issues involved with fires in high/low rises.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.