HLF benefit of bidirectional?

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Just curious .... On HLF equipped vehicles, there is often a slight delay in one headlight illuminating when the high beams are applied (regardless of whether or not the flasher is on or off). I have never used the bidirectional type flasher (like Whelen 2150, etc.).

Do these units eliminate the delay? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
billforbush said:
Just curious .... On HLF equipped vehicles, there is often a slight delay in one headlight illuminating when the high beams are applied (regardless of whether or not the flasher is on or off). I have never used the bidirectional type flasher (like Whelen 2150, etc.).

Thanks

Bill

While I have no experience with the flashers you're describing, I've never experienced any substantial delay in illumination of the high beams on any vehicle so equipped in the past. What brand/model flasher(s) are you using now?

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
foxtrot5 said:
While I have no experience with the flashers you're describing, I've never experienced any substantial delay in illumination of the high beams on any vehicle so equipped in the past. What brand/model flasher(s) are you using now?

The current flasher is a Sound Off ETHFSS-SP and uses the typical blue/yellow installation between the right and left headlights. I understand that the bidirectional flashers have two wires per headlight and wonder if that would eliminate the delay. The delay is minimal but noticeable and is evident on the side where the flasher is installed.

I have had the same issue with other flashers, although I don't remember which ones. I live in a rural area now and often use the high beams momentarily to check for deer at night. The delay is annoying.

Thanks for any insight that you can provide.

Bill

Jtsou

Nov 6, 2011
NC
stfd717 said:
Does it only happen when the HLF is on or anytime you are switching to high-beams?

billforbush said:

Thanks

Bill

The UHF2150 is instant, it uses the power from the switch to activate the headlights. So it works just as it normally would.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
billforbush said:
Thank you all for your help. The phenomenon happens whether the HLF is on or off. I will switch to a 1250. Thanks again and happy new year

Bill

This occurs because of how the flasher is designed and the program code that is running on it continuously. Whether the flasher is on or off, the program is always scanning for the ON input from the switch. When the switch is turned on, the driver's side high beam is fed first and the backflow on the blue wire triggers the program to turn on the pax side headlight. That delay is what you are noticing. Relay flashers share the same input from the switch and the power exits each relay and goes to each headlight. There is no monitoring of one side to trigger another side.

The drawback to switching to a relay flasher is the clicking noise and because of the moving parts, higher failure rate due to mechanical linkages moving as opposed to non-moving solid state parts like the flasher you have.

On a side note, our programmable flasher does everything the UHF2150A does and more. $40 for ELB members (ELB-ERM code). Our solid state flashers should be out in about a month and also does not have this delay concern SOS's flashers have. You can see more info here. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Tony

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.