Holmatro Safety Team

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
Took some pictures of the Holmatro Safety Team Pictures today at work.

The medical Vehicle

ai892.photobucket.com_albums_ac123_asweezy1005_utf_8BSU1HMDAwMTIuanBn.jpg

This is what the doc is in. Has a D4 all amber in back window and then 6 head strobe pack each reverse light and front fogs and highbeams. Truck has satilite link with capabilites to view dash cams from the safety trucks and monitor drivers vitals.

Safety Trucks:

ai892.photobucket.com_albums_ac123_asweezy1005_utf_8BSU1HMDAwMTMuanBn.jpg

ai892.photobucket.com_albums_ac123_asweezy1005_utf_8BSU1HMDAwMTQuanBn.jpg

ai892.photobucket.com_albums_ac123_asweezy1005_utf_8BSU1HMDAwMTUuanBn.jpg

Trucks have 4 D2s all amber on back window and strobe packs as well as 2 amber TIR3s on front. The truck with the broom also has 12 head dominator mounted to broom all amber. The other 2 trucks with out brooms have a booster line on front bumper in a custom housing. They have the extrication tools and pump in bed on slider tray. All the units also use XPR4550 radios.

Kevieemt

May 21, 2010
Nice vehicles... Can u post some interior pics as well as some vids. I have a ridgeline what a great truck.

SHO-TYME

May 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Nice looking rigs, but after seeing how the members responded to an accident on track with a car on fire, it looked like 4 monkeys trying to fuck a football.

Casey

Jun 4, 2010
South Florida
I worked track safety at Homestead-Miami Speedway for a couple of years before getting into the security side of things. The IRL Safety guys are extremely professional, and very good at what they do, so as for the "monkey fucking a football" comment, you don't know what you don't know. The safety guys train a lot, and each member of each vehicle has a specific area of responsibility - i.e., one stabilizes the driver and maintains c-spine, one directs traffic, one sets up the wrecked car for lifting, one handles fire suppression, etc. Regardless of what it looks like, it's well-organized chaos.

The lighting has apparently changed a bit since I left the Speedway, but up until 2009, they had the same rear window set-up. The two fire trucks also had what appeared to be a single row of 5mm LEDs running across the back of the pull-out tray that the OP mentioned.

Also, as was mentioned, the team consists of one command vehicle that carries the doc, and is used to transport uninjured drivers, one clean-up truck (the one with the brush) that has an oil dry dispenser and small air blower mounted under the rear bumper, and two fire trucks with extrication equipment, fire extinguishers, and the aforementioned front-mounted booster reels with something like 100 gallons of water/foam onboard. The Ridgelines have front- and rear-mounted cameras that record the safety team's actions and allow for post-race review of their performance. The rear camera on the clean-up truck also allows the driver to monitor oil dry distribution.

These four vehicles are in addition to an extensive array of track safety equipment that is provided by most host tracks, including additional fire trucks, clean-up trucks, wreckers, jet dryers, ambulances, etc.

This is a video I took from my clean-up truck during a caution in the 2008 Indy race in Homestead (back then, it was the Delphi Safety Team), showing the trucks in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjnv4tPZT5U.

And a video tour of the trucks, circa 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xaHuexfHJE&NR=1&feature=fvwp.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
I never realized how much equipment those trucks carried. Looks like a lot of custom work done to those.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
Those are neat trucks. I am surprised that some DOT's don't take a lesson from them and outfit similar trucks to speed clearing of accident scenes on the highway.

Chasselber1

May 21, 2010
Prince Georges County Md
I work for NHRA's Safety Safari and I must say that the Holmatro safety team is mighty impressive! I think the trucks are too small however lol. We use 2 Ford F-350s and a Ford Ranger (not a favorite), the 2 F-350s are equipped with fire suppression/extrication tools and the ranger for clean-up. Each division (7 accross the country) has similar trucks and 1 is usually at a national event. The 350s have 100 and 125 gallon tanks equipped with coldfire and 75 ft hosereels and Hurst extrication tools along with numerous other tools. Sadly we've lost 2 drivers this season to top end wrecks and hopefully we dont lose any others.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.