Home made flasher

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
My supervisor U doesn’t have any alternating flash patterns. So I set the bar the steady burn and thought my LED tail light flasher would suffice. It wasn’t strong enough so I made a flasher. I hooked each half of the ILB to 87 and 87a and wired a turn signal flasher in-line of 86 and away I went. It works great.
My question is, i have a very high quality relay (Ford oem) will it stand up to being used on/off/on/off repeatedly?
My ILB doesn’t draw near the 40A rating for the relay but I was just wondering if the coil could fail prematurely.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I did a similar thing with a Whelen Freedom where I added Feniex heads that were switched positive not negative like the rest of the bar.

It will work, but those relays are only rated for like 10-20,000 duty cycles. Do the math, 60fpm x 60 min = 3600 cycles per hour. Now realistically they will probably last a about a year under normal use due to low amp draw. Mine last 2 years on a pov before I took the bar off. Best bet is to find solid state relays.

Reactions: jmamrak

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
Thanks for the info. My last question is this: 5 wires are on pin 87 and 5 wires on 87a. I want to take one wire from each bundle (takedowns) and splice them onto my scene light button for steady burn. Would using a diode work for that? I want them to flash with the bar but I would like a steady takedown only when the bar is off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.