homemade wig wag

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
A long, long time ago I wired up a home made wig wag set up with a DPDT toggle switch and a 537 flasher. The problem is it was so long ago that I forgot how I wired the switch. All I remember is that one side was jumped.

Anyone know how to do it. I need a simple, low cost, minimal space set up to alternate (2) 12V lamps.

A diagram would be GREAT!!!!!! Thanks!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Here is something I threw together in MSPAINT that should be of some use to you.

The DPDT switch will switch lamps L1 and L2 between steady burn or alternately flashing.

The SPST switch will switch the steady burn function on or off. It could be the high beam switch.

wig-wag.PNG[/attachment:314xbre9]

wig-wag.PNG

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
Thanks for that diagram Shues, but there is a way to do it with just the DPDT switch where the center is off and left and right are either steady or flashing.

That's the way I am looking for as I only have room for (1) switch. Will be for a motorcycle application.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Yes, the SPST switch represents the existing high beam switch on the bike. You can remove it and just run the orange wire straight from the battery to the flasher.

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
Shues, I think I can figure out with what you have provided, but the hi-beam switch should not come into play as this has nothing to do with the headlight. This will be to allow (2) auxillary lights to either steady burn or alternate. The headlight is not involved.

Thanks!!!

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
If you can find a DPDT switch that is ON-OFF-ON, your problem is solved. Center position is off, one of the on's is steady burn and the other is alternating flash. If memory serves, with the old 537's, you could run +12 vdc to them and they'd only work when the lights were switched on. I had my old '72 Plymouth Fury's rear deck lights wired exactly that way.

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
Steve0625 said:
If you can find a DPDT switch that is ON-OFF-ON, your problem is solved. Center position is off, one of the on's is steady burn and the other is alternating flash. If memory serves, with the old 537's, you could run +12 vdc to them and they'd only work when the lights were switched on. I had my old '72 Plymouth Fury's rear deck lights wired exactly that way.
Indeed!!! I just didn't remember how to wire everything....hence this thread.

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
Just in case any one is interested:

I scrapped the entire homemade system and went with an old Sound Off Roadrunner that I had out in the tool box. I hooked the auxillary lights up as if they were headlights and then ran a switch hot to the hi-beam over ride wire. This way they are able to alternate or steady burn like I was looking for. Installation was pretty straight forward and easy to complete.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
167 said:
Just in case any one is interested:

I scrapped the entire homemade system and went with an old Sound Off Roadrunner that I had out in the tool box. I hooked the auxillary lights up as if they were headlights and then ran a switch hot to the hi-beam over ride wire. This way they are able to alternate or steady burn like I was looking for. Installation was pretty straight forward and easy to complete.

I would have suggested the same. For the cost of a used HLF, building one isn't really worth it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.