How can I make my light flash with one switch and steady burn with a second?

ParamedicB

Mar 28, 2019
Texas
Hello,

I've attempted a brilliant idea for my wiring with less success than expected. I recently got left and right scene lights and was very happy to have them wired to individual switches for left and right as needed. I already had a lightbar and had the brilliant idea to wire it into the external flasher. It was a great idea and flashes great when activated, however now when I try to turn on the individual left and right they activate the flasher and steady burn.

Someone suggested to me a diode but I've never used a diode with wiring like this. I tried searching for diode related posts and came up with post related to a light diode and not wiring diodes. Would a diode work? If so how is that wired in?

Many thanks for any help. If nothing ends up working I can easily revert back to how it was, but I really liked this idea.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Yes, diodes would work. As I understand it, you should be able to install diodes in the wires you added last: those that lead from your lightheads to your external flasher.

Install the diodes so that they allow current to flow from the flasher to the lightheads to make them flash, and so they block current from flowing from the lightheads to the flasher.

A good, basic introduction to diodes is here: https://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp

Reactions: StEaLtH2

HCSO249

Jul 17, 2016
MISSOURI
Wish you were closer to me! I have all sorts of crap to resolve that issue for you. I can't explain it as well as I can wire it up for ya.

Reactions: ParamedicB

ParamedicB

Mar 28, 2019
Texas
Thanks Shues for the guide! I just have to do some more research into it. Lol.

HCSO249. LOL roadtrip! Your name makes me think of Harris County Sherrifs Office and the road 249 here Haha!

HCSO249

Jul 17, 2016
MISSOURI
HCSO249. LOL roadtrip! Your name makes me think of Harris County Sherrifs Office and the road 249 here Haha! [/QUOTE said:
Close...Howell & badge#

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
I did something similar to a light setup I had. In the Navy stationed in Virginia I had a car with California plates, so I set it up Calspec style. Had a flashing amber sealed beam on the rear deck. Grill lights I had two red sealed beams, hooked to a school bus flasher. On one of the flasher output terminals I had a large power diode, got it from the electrical shop I was working in. It was part of a rectifier bridge in an auxiliary power plant, but similar to an automotive alternator diode.

DO_203_AB_DSL.jpg

Hooked by itself, lights flashed. Then I ran another power wire to the negative side of the diode. Just remember that when flashing, the diode will feed back to the switch. Not a problem during operation, but could cause some lightning when installing.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
necrothreading strikes again...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.