How in the world do I remove the worm gear?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I picked up a Federal Signal beacon in a lot purchase. It is 24v so I am converting it to 12v. Trying to remove the gear it pulled the shaft out of the motor. I bent the shaft to be able to use leverage on it with no luck. It has not budged at all!

How the heck can it be removed?

20210111_205448.jpg

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
That looks like a brass gear use a touch (small one is fine) heat only the gear not thr shaft that will get it to expand enough for it to come off

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
That looks like a brass gear use a touch (small one is fine) heat only the gear not thr shaft that will get it to expand enough for it to come off
I tried a torch with light heat and direct heat to just the tip to heat upwards without any luck.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I do not have a vice. I make sure I am giving the bottom of the gear as much support as I can to not bugger up the rest. I dont have a punch but I did try the flat end of a drill bit with part of the prior motor piece as a backing to the gear.

What I tried today was what is shown. I used a slot in the wire strippers bigger then the shaft so it floats freely. I am getting decent leverage on it. It is straightning out the shaft and pulling it through the pliers! I did heat the gear up too with no luck so far.

I was thinking of cutting the shaft off at the gear and pounding in the one from the replacement motor. I will eliminate my leverage options if I do that and it fails so that will be a last resort.

20210111_212940.jpg

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
You might have to get it glowing to get it off by the sounds of it or drill out the old shaft to get the gear onto the new motor

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have not put that much heat on it yet, will that harm the brass? I am hesitant to drill as it seems easy to keep the bit straight in the center without the bit migrating into the brass.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Heating it up pretty good shouldn't be too bad just get a slite glow to it it should pop rite off they are pressed onto the shaft as for drilling you'll want a good sturdy bit if you have a drill press I highly recommend using that another option is use a vice and a hammer with a punch that will fit and crack that shaft free remember though brass is soft so heat is your best bet

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Got it glowing a bit with the propane torch, practically fell off. Thanks Da-Sarge for pointing me in that direction. I was afraid to put heat to brass so I obviously did not heat it enough previously. Got the gear on the new motor too. Thanks again (and to Tony P for putting this in the correct category for me).
20210111_234536.jpg

Reactions: Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.