How many flashes per minute does each rotator in a Twin Sonic produce?

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
I'm in the process of making a small replica of a Twin Sonic lightbar for an RC car and am trying to code it to the correct flash rate. I initially made it using discrete components, but trying to make the LEDs fade correctly added way too many components. I programmed an MCU to 90 FPM, but it still seems fast. I'll eventually make a post, but wasn't sure of the correct area, since it is just a model of the light. I still need to figure out how I'm going to make the domes.

Last edited:

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
In the original Model 12 TwinSonic each side had a 2 bulb beacon rotating at 40 RPM, thus 80 flashes/minute per side, same as a Model 17. There were also 3 stepper mirrors for each rotator, multiplying each flash by 4. Thus a total of 320 flashes/minute per side or 640 flashes/minute for the entire bar, which is the figure Federal advertised.

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
Outstanding. I'm having to use single LEDs to mimic the mirrors, so I'm timing their flashes to the "rotators" on each side, so that it gives the effect of it being a mirrored reflection of the rotator. I initially had it at 90 and it seemed too fast, so I dropped it to 75 and it looked better. I'll try the timing for 80 and see how that looks. Thank you.

Here is a very short cellphone video of the first breadboard design. I have since moved on to the PIC micro-controller.

Well, for some reason, the video won't play here, so here is the link.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eub3ovWC-Kg

Last edited:

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
Sorry for the late reply. Eventually, I want to make an amber Aerodynic for a tow truck.

I made a little beacon to put on an RC plane. I have a strobe and the port/starboard lights, but trying to make the beacon a little smaller.

Also, here is the latest update to the Twin Sonic. It looks much better than my first attempt. One of these days, I'll get around to making the lenses and the frame.

Last edited:

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
Those appear to be the same bars that are on Ebay. They are too small.. I have some thin clear plastic sheets and i was thinking of heating them and forming them around a mold that i can make out of wood.

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
Thanks man. It'll look much better one the lenses are made. I held up some transparent blue and red Monokote and it looks really good. Back during the Covid-19 lockdown, I had more time, but lately, I haven't had much time to mess with it. Hopefully, I can do some more with it soon.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I'm watching this. You may have lots of customers if you can make these a boutique item... Wonder if you can get someone with a 3D printer to do a whole housing assembly?

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
I realized that after the boards were made. I'm trying to make an Aerodynic now, but haven't made it to the etching phase yet. Got tied up with work and don't have as much free time as I did a few months back.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.