How much money have you spent so far on your lights?

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Hello again folks!

I am a bit curious about how much money you have spent so far on your lightbars/lights/sirens collections ?

I am sure that not all of you will not give a number in $$$$$ but maybe give a little clue on how much you have spent...

I have collected lightbars/lights/sirens since the year 2002 and have spent about 5000 usd so far. Don´t know if that sounds like a little or a lot in your ears?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
...I have collected lightbars/lights/sirens since the year 2002 and have spent about 5000 usd so far. Don´t know if that sounds like a little or a lot in your ears?
Depends on whether you have 10 or 100 lightbars/lights/sirens in your collection.

At 10 it is a lot, at 100 it is not much.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
To be honest I don't know 100%

I do have keep a log of transactions I do for my restorations,  primarily for customer record keeping purposes.    Often I find something and end up trading or selling for something else which makes most lights a wash.     There is obviously some expenditure but frequently it gets made back by selling or repairing other items.

A recent example off the top of my head is a Visibar I picked up just recently..  lets say I paid $ for it..   cleaned it up fixed its issues and now I sell it for $$$..   I'm in the black again..     this happens pretty frequently.

Reactions: tsquale

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I want to say since I became a volunteer fireman to the present time now which is around 9 years I think I have spent easily around 5 Grand on lights and sirens EASY....... :(

The problem lies with buying lights for my ride in one set up and then getting rid of all of them a few months or a year later and selling them "loosing money" and then buying a completely new set up.... its an addiction.

My biggest spender so far was when I bought my 2013 F-150 4x4 that thing is being splurged on everything is new and expensive and im still not done its going to be amazing.

I blame MEVS06 he started this addiction he was like the gateway drug... you bastard :drooling:

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Not much. Most of the vintage or rare stuff I have a got at auction where a got skids of current or relevant lights and they were buried in the stack. So the price of my collection got somewhat absorbed by the sales of said bars.

Very rarely did I purchase a bar just b/c it was a collectible. 

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
My dd pov is just north of 1k the 48" justice and sho me siren/controller the brunt of that.

The cannons, t6s, speaker from fever on elite membership is boss

My Duramax was about 400$ but it's a mini bar and stuff I got from here and a minimal build

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
I only buy when i can sell to try and offset the cost.

My biggest fear is one day ill die, and my wife will sell all my lights for what i told her i spent on them
I Think it could also be difficult to get the "full value"  out of the lights to sell a whole Collection in one deal to one buyer....

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Entirely way too much!!!!!

I would venture that actual expenditures for vehicle equipment (excluding collectible/vintage) would easily be around $3-4k since 2002 when I began in the fire service, but adding in collectible lighting/warning stuff, probably more in the $5-6k range (of course that doesn't count, as others have said, funds recouped from selling items, just simply money spent).

Jeez, way to make me depressed and see how silly my priorities have been!!!

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I know I've spent thousands of dollars on lights over the past few years, but I also know that it's been pleasantly offset by a few thousand dollars' profit after the same timespan. 

J-Rock1944

Jun 26, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
Do you want the amount that my Girlfriend THINKS I've spent, or the truth?

In all reality, I think I've spent maybe $500 or so? I did a lot of wheeling-and-dealing, so it may not even be that much.

Reactions: jmccarthy

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I've probably dropped somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40,000 Brazilian Reals on JDI products.

In actuality, when I was active in SAR, I spent about $400-$500, including $200 on my old MX and an Edge for parts to convert it to a strobe model.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
All in all, probably just south of $600? Roughly? I've bought several lights just to turn around and sell them to a couple guys on my dept. I'm kicking myself for one of my "deals" but I can't kick too hard because I did come out ahead but I want at least of of the lights I traded away back. Could use it in my new car.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.