How rare is this Whelen option?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I went with a buddy tonight to meet with someone to make a trade. My buddy traded a beat-up electric guitar and a nice bass amplifier for a Whelen Edge with an option I had never seen before. In the center of the Edge was an oscillating halogen piercer, which I know is relatively common. The interesting part was that the piercer housing was not black, but blue!

0906002223.jpg[/attachment:1zgdmjq4]

0906002224.jpg[/attachment:1zgdmjq4]

These were the only pictures I could get of the piercer before he whisked the bar away. Is a colored housing on a piercer common thing, or is this something special?

0906002223.jpg

0906002224.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Is it simply painted blue, or is it an actual blue translucent like a normal edge lens? (sorta looks translucent in the photo)

cory y

May 21, 2010
According to the whelen build your own program... you can get the halogen sweepy piercer with a housing of any of the 5 colors and the same with each lens.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Those halogen Piercer housings are usually clear and the strobe version is usually black. I have seen colored lenses on both types, but never seen a colored housing for either type.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
TritonBoulder47 said:
The fact that it's not black is the rare part... The piecer was a fairly common add-on...
Yes, that's what I tried to explain above.

unlisted said:
Is it simply painted blue, or is it an actual blue translucent like a normal edge lens? (sorta looks translucent in the photo)
Yes, it is the same translucent blue like the rest of the Edge lenses.

cory y said:
According to the whelen build your own program... you can get the halogen sweepy piercer with a housing of any of the 5 colors and the same with each lens.
Can I still get an Edge 9000 from Whelen? If so, can I still order the halogen piercer with a colored housing like this?

Were I a Whelen collector, I would probably snatch the whole bar right up. Is this blue piercer something that one of you Whelen collectors is dying to have?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Thanks for the info, Doug! The manual says that the clear housing is part number 02-0362196CCC, which I presume means clear housing, clear lens, clear lens.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
cory y said:
You can't order the 9000 anymore but you can still get the piercers

FYI What he's talking about is not a halogen piercer... it's a pierce alert.

Piercer-strobe

PierceAlert-halogen oscillating

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
shues said:
Thanks for the info, Doug! The manual says that the clear housing is part number 02-0362196CCC, which I presume means clear housing, clear lens, clear lens.

Yes, their 2004 parts list says to specify housing color and both window colors 02-0362196_ _ _ .

The 2007? catalog lists the entire unit "Pierce Alert Oscillating Halogens WHE-PRM2 _ _ _ . Includes dual oscillating halogen beacons which sweep throughout a 160 degree pattern covering critical angles. Now Available for 9M and 9U series lightbars. Colored lens and/or housings available--ADD $10 ea.

I haven't seen any version of it in years. I was told whelen had discontinued all their oscillating halogen lights due to wire's snapping.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
shues said:
The halogen piercer in my buddy's bar works as it should, but it does run a little loud.

The way these work (as well as the advantedge osc and the osc modules for the old advantedge flush mounts) involves the wires running up through the reflector. The bulbs are mounted in the reflector and move with it.... the wires have to bend back and forth with each sweep of the light. After a while they break or snap....this is after a decent amount of time, but I consider it a design flaw none the less, which sucks cause I really liked these as an edge option.

cory y

May 21, 2010
JohnMarcson said:

Piercer-strobe

I misspoke I meant piercer series halogen and strobe.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
cory y said:
I misspoke I meant piercer series halogen and strobe.[/quote:3os1nvlf]

You can actually get a piercer with halogens in place of strobes, it flashes back and forth.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
shues said:
I think the oscillating halogen version would be superior to the flashing halogen version.

Yeah, the halogen flashing version isn't really anything more than flashing take downs in a special housing with a fresnel lens. OSP had them on their edges. Teh sweep verion's reflectors are kinda small though and are too unrelaible in my opinion.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here's the product sheet

whelen 002.jpg

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
JohnMarcson said:

Piercer-strobe

Actually, I believe the strobe version is/was the Piercer II - 420 single FPM, as I recall.

Yes technically it was called Piercer "II".... That's not what the confusion is over though....

What I am talking about is when people call a pierce alert a "halogen piercer". There was a halogen version of the piercer it is a totally different thing. It looked just like a piercer II but had 2 halogen 43 series lights that flashed back and forth. The only place I have ever seen the halogen alternating version of the piercer is on Ohio State police cars.... I was told the option has created for them.

Piercer series - stationary 4x3 strobe or halogen

PierceAlert - Oscillating halogen

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
i too am surprised to see it w/ a blue housing. a custom order by a dept that ordered a bunch of them at the time, perhaps?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
pdk9 said:
i too am surprised to see it w/ a blue housing. a custom order by a dept that ordered a bunch of them at the time, perhaps?

It says they make the housing in all 5 colors..... I wonder if there were ever any made in green...

Firebasic2004

May 24, 2010
SW Ohio, USA
I have one of the alternating halogen flashers. It works really well for clearing traffic (almost better than the rest of the bar). Its best use so far is spotting deer that are hiding just behind the brush lines in my neighborhood. *edit* If you want a video I'll see what I can do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.