How to add a bell to the back of the motorola minitor amplified charger.

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
I remember this being a thread a while back but I can't find it. I want to be able to add a bell or buzzer to my min 3 amp charger. I need to know what each pin is and figure out how to wire this sucker up. If anyone has a wiring diagram that they would share I would appreciate it. Basically I want to add a bell that goes of for only like 5-10 seconds. I am absolutely clueless on this stuff.

nyn 8348a - amp charger

Last edited by a moderator:

Medicman695

May 27, 2011
USA, MN
Is the output on the Amp charger 12v or 120v? I've been wanting to do something similar for awhile now.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Medicman695 said:
Is the output on the Amp charger 12v or 120v? I've been wanting to do something similar for awhile now.

I believe it's 120v but it's about 250mA so the trigger is not powerful enough to power a light...

Seth

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
C17LVFD said:
I believe it's 120v

That couldn't be, as the amplified charger runs off of DC. Further, it appears that the 6-pin DIN connector provides audio (2 pins), relay contacts (2 pins), and relay closure timing control (2 pins). What you need to pay attention to is just the two relay contacts. Whatever tiny amount of power is provided by the one relay closure timing control pin is not enough to do anything useful. Here's what batlabs has to say about the relay's rating:

The relay contacts are rated for 10 watts, maximum at 28 volts dc/ac rms. Within the limits of the 10 watt rating, the closed contacts will handle up to 750 milliamperes continuously and will switch up to 400 milliamperes of current.

This means you'll need a DC power supply, and a relay whose coil operates on DC but that is able to switch AC.

Some additional useful information is available here: http://sites.google.com/site/radioetcetera/firestationalerting

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
I have the 5 pin one. Well 5 pins and a ground if I am correct.

I don't have an ebay. I want that really badly cause it would be perfect for what i want.

Medicman695

May 27, 2011
USA, MN
So reading through those links, would it be possible to run a 12V lighthead in that system instead of a desk lamp?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Medicman695 said:
So reading through those links, would it be possible to run a 12V lighthead in that system instead of a desk lamp?

Yes. Just make sure your relay is suitable for 12v DC at however many amps or watts your lighthead requires, and that your 12 volt power source is capable of supplying enough power.

Medicman695

May 27, 2011
USA, MN
Sweet thx! Do you know where I can get the plug that plugs into the rear of the unit?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.