How to Not Die Fighting an Ammunition Fire

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Best advice, near as I can tell, is if you pretend that there isn't any ammo there and act like it's just like any other fire then you'll be fine.

...no, seriously

Reactions: Chris W

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I can't recall a structure fire my department has fought, other than a small compartment, that didn't have ammo in it. I am in Texas, after all.

Reactions: Dave F and Doyle257

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
In salvage, we've pulled out sooty steel tubes that used to be firearms, sans the stocks/ grips. You always hope a homeowner doesn't leave one chambered.

I wish that video had cooked a military-style ammo box filled with sporting ammunition. I wonder if the additional containment would yield an explosion.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
I wish that video had cooked a military-style ammo box filled with sporting ammunition. I wonder if the additional containment would yield an explosion.
Unless they all went off at once (not possible due to the outermost cartridges absorbing the heat first), the ammo can should easily contain all of the shrapnel. Would likely sound just like a busy popcorn machine. A bigger question is what will a container of powder do (for folks who reload, or shoot muzzleloaders). Those will make a pretty big boom.

Normal civilian cartridges should pose no harm to a firefighter in bunker gear. Bigger stuff like 50BMG does have more power, like a firecracker. There's a video of a 50BMG round in a microwave, it blew open the door, but didn't break the glass.

If you hear loose rounds cooking off, they won't hurt you... but certainly a warning to get out because there could be something bigger.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.