How to pass the NREMT written exam?

jestertc

Jul 21, 2011
Central CT
Hi Guys.

Sorry I am a little bit pissed at the moment.

I was in EMT class the last month, always have at a great score - always above 94%(work book and all test handed out by the staff).

I passed together with 5 guys (out of 25) all station at the state practical exam and I did dozens of medical call already.

So I thought I know my stuff. As I said "I Thought".

I also thought I was well prepared, I did research, made all my questions, bought books about the NREMT exam with sample questions.

Everybody I talked to (how is also an EMT or higher, ever the instructors) told me, Mike your are fine, you will have absolutely no problem.

(of course I always doubt this, as I know my problems with the English language and a bunch of knowledge too)

I say this so detailed, because I try to explain the pre-story of this and I was not nervouse.

Now I took the NREMT EMT-B written this morning and I have no idea what happend.

Most (50%+) of the questions I had to guess, I have never seen the topic of this question before, I have had no idea what to answer.

I checked out my book (I got in class) for these topics, they are not in the book.

So, my fellow EMTs, how did you pass the NREMT?

Did you experience the same as I did this morning? How did you prepare for this.

Does somebody know on which book(s) the NREMT is based of? Its defenitely no on the Brady one.

And if course I am open to every advice you can give me.

And I know one think, if I really failed, so 90% of my class will fail too (they failed already the final class exams).

(and I am sorry for every mistake, the spell check is not working) :) :)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
NREMT is a business.... not a branch of government or a governing body...... I'm not implying anything sinister, just saying they can make their test any way they see fit. Google "learning disability NREMT". Their tests are like no other test, licensing or otherwise that I have taken. From what my friends that have taken the bar and various med school tests have told me, NREMT seems odd even by professional licensing standards. That said, what seems to work is buying a huge block of sample questions from amazon and learning how registry questions work. I have had a lot of feedback from takers of the current computer based test and the type of question seems the same. The problem is they have taken away the ability to skip a question and go back, which is a really good test taking strategy that is taught in school.

A bunch of useless info. What you actually need. More worthless info. Vitals (Normal or "textbook wrong"). Summary of question. Question.

A Wrong answer (flat out stupid)

B Wrong answer (exact opposite of correct answer)

C Wrong answer (wrong order)

D Wrong answer (close but wrong dose or minor detail etc)

E Wrong answer (too general)

F Wrong answer (too specific)

G Wrong answer (intentional term misuse)

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
I am a Connecticut certified EMT-B, and I took the NREMT test in CT, as well. i went into the test the same I take all tests given by the state/government. They want me to fail. They are going to ask me the stupidest, most obsolete, unrelated BS in the world, and that's how they'll get me to fail. No, the NREMT's are not based off the Brady book. They're based off complete randomness. I just memorized every random piece of info that the Brady book didn't focus on, because I knew that's what they'd ask. It helps to have a near-photographic memory, but I passed with 68 questions asked, no wrong. Personally, I'd recommend flashcards. Not homemade ones, there is a book, that is written in flashcard format. They also ask weird, random questions, and that will help get used to it. I have it at home, I'll give you the title when I get it.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I took the NREMT test about 20 years ago. Breezed thru the state test so I figured I would give the NREMT test a try. I felt like I had been beat with a stick when I was done. I passed, but it was so tough. Probably wouldnt do it again. It didnt serve any purpose other then give me a differnt uniform patch. Personally I like our state EMT patch better.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
EMT-BLS said:
I am a Connecticut certified EMT-B, and I took the NREMT test in CT, as well. i went into the test the same I take all tests given by the state/government. They want me to fail. They are going to ask me the stupidest, most obsolete, unrelated BS in the world, and that's how they'll get me to fail. No, the NREMT's are not based off the Brady book. They're based off complete randomness. I just memorized every random piece of info that the Brady book didn't focus on, because I knew that's what they'd ask. It helps to have a near-photographic memory, but I passed with 68 questions asked, no wrong. Personally, I'd recommend flashcards. Not homemade ones, there is a book, that is written in flashcard format. They also ask weird, random questions, and that will help get used to it. I have it at home, I'll give you the title when I get it.

It's all learning to take their test. It has less to do with the ciriculum than other tests I have taken. Being a private certifying company NREMT is not subject to all the same rules a government entity would be subject to. States simply enter into a business deal with them to use their test and/or cert. Registry's curriculum is actually pretty good evidence base medicine. My problem with them has always been when trying to pay them for a service... ie initial certification or re-certification. I'm not always a fan of the government providing things, but medical certification is one of the thing I think the government should do "in house". There are plenty of things that contracting with a private contractor works for, public safety certification isn't one of them in my opinion.

As you may have guess by now I'm not a huge NREMT fan. I dropped mine when they wanted each of my medical directors to sign a statement that I was awesome....actually the real reason was that they made the CE requirements so type specific that my state refresher didn't fully satisfy them. So they wanted money to renew and I'd have to pay for extra CEs out of pocket. My state issues you a state card once you pass registry, so you never actually have to renew the registry card. So I didn't. There is a cool map on the NREMT site that shows just how few states require people to keep registry.... most are initial cert by their test only.

As always, these are my personal opinions, not that of any agency or company.

jdaaemt

Nov 9, 2011
CONNECTICUT (CT)
The NR exam is based entirely on the national standard curriculum. On the flip side, the Brady, Mosby, AAOS, and any other book you use will be based on the same national standard curriculum. I can only speak for CT because that is where I am an instructor but I am sure most places have the same issues as us. The problem we run into with students taking the NREMT exam is that some instructors have a habit of teaching local protocols not the national standard. An example of this is neb treatments, in CT an EMT cannot administer a neb treatment. However per NREMT they can and will be tested on the skill and or knowledge of the skill. Anything on the exam can be found in the brady book as long as it is the most current edition. If you have specific questions pm me I have tons of references i can refer to you to help make the exam process a little easier.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
jdaaemt said:
The NR exam is based entirely on the national standard curriculum. On the flip side, the Brady, Mosby, AAOS, and any other book you use will be based on the same national standard curriculum. I can only speak for CT because that is where I am an instructor but I am sure most places have the same issues as us. The problem we run into with students taking the NREMT exam is that some instructors have a habit of teaching local protocols not the national standard. An example of this is neb treatments, in CT an EMT cannot administer a neb treatment. However per NREMT they can and will be tested on the skill and or knowledge of the skill. Anything on the exam can be found in the brady book as long as it is the most current edition. If you have specific questions pm me I have tons of references i can refer to you to help make the exam process a little easier.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Curriculum=Good, Test style=bad

Just my opinion... I'm not questioning their curriculum one bit, it's pretty much word for word "standard"......"good evidence based medicine" according to my medical director. My problem is that in my experience taking the (paper) test, once for basic and twice for medic, that NREMT seems to test your ability to take their type of test more than knowledge of the curriculum. I have seen students taught local protocol and tested different registry standards.... but my classes were taught totally to the brady book of the time, and the format of the test is what threw me. I was 18 and had just taken the ACT and SATs (on which I did well enough)..... and the NREMTB seemed like the questions were asking simple info in a complicated way. What I'm saying is I felt it was possible to know current standards but fail the test. There is a component of learning to take the test their way that cannot be ignored.

My personal advice is to on top of learning the curriculum, look at sample registry questions.

I also don't feel my best interests are being looked out for when I pay a private company to obtain a state certification, and I am therefore naturally suspicious of their testing...

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Do you have an idea of what area's you bombed in? I didnt have any issues with the written test, just skill stations. I had been a State certified EMT and EMT Adv prior to taking my medic NR. But they gave a break down on the written test, I knew for a fact I was weak in certain area's, like the venomous snakes and spiders that we dont have here. They set you up to fail and I dont think that is right but that's the way it is. We had several in our class that didnt make it the first time...keep your nose to the grindstone and you will learn from your mistakes. Good Luck.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
NREMT should cease to exist. Its because of them I couldnt be an EMT in Ohio. Passed my EMT-B class, could not, no matter what I did or how much I studied, pass the NREMT. Cocksuckers. I am not too far from their offices. I should take a big dump on their doorstep.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
I failed the EMT-B test the first time I took it. Having just finished the class, I was still very unprepaired for the test. Lot's of stuff I didn't know. I took it the 2nd time after studying for a month and passed it without an issue. I think I just bought some cheap study guide off of eBay.

jestertc

Jul 21, 2011
Central CT
Thanks Guys, your answers are helping me a lot. Thanks for that.

Looks like some of you experienced that same feeling. That shows me taht I am not alone with that, and this is what is helping me.

For me I am not longer doubting my abilities, just thinking about trying to find out how to take this damn test.

I talked to a former class mate (aR.N.) da few minutes ago, she took the test today too for her FD.

She had teh same feeling and stated she was blindsided the whole test. She cant believe that the questions are without important information and no expected answers.

She also feels that she failed.

(I cant believe this)

@Hoser:

I dont know, perhaps in a few days when I get my results.

I felt like "everyhting" was wrong. I can not pinpoint one or two topics. If I could I would study this topic and take the retest.

But I cant. This is why I am asking.

@Marc

Thanks, you posts are very helpfull. Now I have to learn what is BS and what is important.

(or improve my guessing)

@jdaaemt

First, I believe you what you are saying. It should be taht all the books based an the national curriculum, otherwise I wouldnt make really sense.

But my feeling this morning proved me different.

What do you tell you students if they are asking why the test questions are so totally different from the NREMT test?

All the questions I got before where good, to the point and I was learning from the wrong answers I made.

Best questionaire I got was one named "DOT pratice test questions" or something like this.

They were great.

Later this week, after I got my result, I will contact you. Thanks for the offer.

@twodogs63

Unfortunately I have to take this test as a state exam too.....

I dont need a patch (doesnt fit to my stuff), so I am just doing it because I have to.

But it helps me that you felt the same 20years ago. So it means that its not since they restructured all the tests lately.

@EMT-BLS

Unfortunately I dont have such a photographic-memory, I just learn and unterstand my stuff. But I understand what you want to tell me.

But if this is the key to pass this damn test (to memorize all questions) does it make the test completely obsolete and complete BS?

Isnt it better to test if somebody understand the stuff he was teached to be a goot EMT?

I was kicked out after exactly 70 questions after around 60minutes. Maybe I passed too?????

I have flashcards, but I dont use them. For what? I know whats written on them I know my stuff. As i said its not a matter of knowledge, if more a

matter of getting ask this kind of questions where I cant answer because of missing important informations, stupid questions and crappy answers.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
I just recently completeled a emt course in MI. I just took the national registry test and passed. I am just waiting on the state to send me my license. While I was in class my instructors told me to get this book. Amazon.com: EMT-B National Standards Self-Test (3rd Edition) (9780131707870): Charly D. Miller: Books The answers are in the back, but they are for you to do a "self check" once you complete a section. I thought the book was a good practice test for the national registry. I bought the book while I was in class and did the sections when I wasn't already doing homework for the class. The test wasn't that bad. Like a lot of guys have said. Its all randomized. I did see quite a few questions word for word later on in the test. And also some questions I had to complete guess on. I took about 120 questions and had about 40 minutes left out of the 2 hours you are allowed for the test. just take your time, and don't stress about it. I personally think you can pver study for exams and tests also.

Do you have questions on how to sign up to take the exam? You'll have to go to NREMT.ORG, make a account. Once you get signed in, on the left hand side click "create initial entry level app" Create the app and click all that apply to you, pay the 70 bucks to take the test. Once that happens they will send you a confrimation number. You will have to go back to the NREMT site a day or two later maybe more to get your confrimation number. To get the confrimation number click "check initial entry level app status" Once you have that, just follow the steps provided on their site to sign up for the test. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Hoser said:
National Registry = Money, Privatization. Nuff said.

Nothing like pissing away all that money for the class, aside from the time and effort I put in to it because of the NREMT assholes

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
I have a random NREMT question. Is it true that if you take the test a month after your refresher you only have to do the written, not the practical?

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
I went for the state cert for a few reasons, one being that it lasts longer. Many states will also accept the curriculum, so it would be pointless, and I dont think im going anywhere anytime soon. There are differences between the certs, and it was less confusing to learn the requirements just for my state rather than mine and another one, and try to remember which is which on the tests. Question for you, why did you opt for the national registry?

nluszcz

Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
I passed the NREMT the first time, 5 years ago. ALMOST failed due to the infant section (they gave you a summery of your scores per catagory). Taking it again in a few months with their new computerized version, so we'll see how I do with that one!

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
Ive taken the emtb national test 5 times and taken the course twice and let me tell u the online test suck BIG f*ckin monkey balls :mad: ....In fact just gave them money today to try again but this time i have a website that my instructor gave me EMT Practice Test | NREMT Exam Study Guides and Prep for Students which u have to pay for but they have a lot of students passing after they study for a while.I just wish they would go back to written test or just shit can it all together im not going out of michigan to work so they should give us are state license first IMO....

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
II, as a 17 year old teenager, passed my test on the first try. My partner however, an ex-paramedic in Alaska and Washington, who retook the course with me, failed his test. He's restricted to driving, but I act as a preceptor so he can do patient care. He's a good guy, and knows his stuff. I let him do his thing and I just supervise. When I turn 18, I have to re-take it to become nationally registered. It will suck.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Log in to the NREMT website and check your account, your results might be up already. If it took you less than an hour and approximately 70 questions, you either aced it or bombed it. The system is set up to help you by giving extra questions if your score is low after the first 70. Extra questions to have a chance at raising the average. If you're high enough it'll just end it there. But if you're way too low, you won't be able to pass so it'll also end it.

The curriculum has changed recently but when I took the course the Brady book (an edition behind) was enough for me to pass at the 70 question mark. While the exact question may not have been in the book*, the principles were and if you can think analytically you'll do ok. *A friend of mine said her test had a lot of extrication related questions in her test, knot use and such that isn't in in Brady book or even in the then-current curriculum. But this was 3 years ago, they change tests occasionally. The refresher course I had last month used retired NREMT questions and they were still tricky/analytical.

If you didn't pass, I really can't think of any bombshell advice, just do the practice tests in the book and the workbook and remember the basics... ABCs and oxygen. They like throwing in some kind of advanced answer when the best choice is something a First Responder would recognize. A patient with gasping respirations and a broken leg doesn't need splints and immobilization, it needs oxygen and maybe a BVM. Deal with the life threats first then deal with the other stuff. I took an ACLS test over the weekend and it was the same way, long drawn out scenario with the key words "not breathing" thrown in near the end. :)

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
National Reg. bases there information from 11 diffrent text books...

www.emtprep.com will help out a lot.

The test questions are semi-simple...

1 question...

4 answers...

2 are wrong...

2 are correct...

1 of the 2 is the first step before the other...

over 25 of my questions were OB related and were on the same situation...

jestertc

Jul 21, 2011
Central CT
theroofable said:
I Question for you, why did you opt for the national registry?
easy answer: the state wants us to.

There is no state written anymore, they decided to accept the NREMT written exam as state exam. So if you want to be certified in CT you have to take the NREMT written exam now. They will send all the results to the state and then we get our cert.

Please dont ask me why, I have no idea. But everybody of our instructors told us how lucky we were to start in 2011, so we were tested with the 2011 rules and regulations

Unfortunately on Jan 1st, 2012 new rules and regulations apply in CT. They changed a lot, Instructor were confused what everyhting changed. So we will see, how it will going.

jestertc

Jul 21, 2011
Central CT
So, after reading all posts I thought I check the NREMT web site.

Look like I did it.

Thanks to all of you for your answers!!

But after all, I still think the way of testing is not the perfect ways of testing the capabilities of future EMTs.

All your answers and my feeling shows that.........

Again thanks a lot.

btw: I will post pictures of my new Medic truck after it arrived. :) :)

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Here's my theory to answer your original question: "How to pass the NREMT written exam?"

Easy, don't take the test... If you don't take the test, you can't get any questions wrong, therefore you will not fail, a.k.a., pass... Right...? j/k

Glad you passed it bro... :thumbsup:

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
ark_firefighter said:
National Reg. bases there information from 11 diffrent text books...

www.emtprep.com will help out a lot.

The test questions are semi-simple...

1 question...

4 answers...

2 are wrong...

2 are correct...

1 of the 2 is the first step before the other...

over 25 of my questions were OB related and were on the same situation...

This is exactly how it goes. 2/4 are correct. 1 is just MORE CORRECT than the other. It is a weird, weird test indeed.

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
I took my emt b test yesterday and logged in to the nremt website lastnite....Finaly passed the danm thing about time :yes:

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
Thanks..... If anybody has a hard time taking test like me i really advise you to try the EMT Practice Test | NREMT Exam Study Guides and Prep for Students website i paid 34.99 and study 1.5hrs a nite and finaly passed..They base all the questions off the national test form which is good and also give you a precentage i stayed above 70% in all fields and had no problem.When i went to take the test it shut me down at 120 thought to myself i did allright and found out that nite i finaly kicked that tests ass.Shit money gets tight everytime i have to take the danm test its $70.00 but not anymore..... hehehe take my advise use the website it really works thats all i used to study for it......

Last edited by a moderator:

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
TNFF412N said:
im still trying to figure it out, Texas doenst have its own test so if you let it expire you have to test again

My theory...

The state that adopts NR as a standard for initial licensing, and saves the state from writing and administering its own test.

Then they write their own protocol to be followed by licensed professionals and maintained through their CE standards.

On another note

I passed today!! :D

pondfly

May 21, 2010
IL
TNFF412N said:
im still trying to figure it out, Texas doenst have its own test so if you let it expire you have to test again

That's exactly what it is. As a medic in IL and needing to transfer to TX I have to make sure I'm caught up in IL (which I'm not), take the national, get fingerprinted, pay national, pay texas, wait for them to send paperwork to IL, wait, wait, wait for IL, call IL an shake the tree, wait, wait, wait, call IL and threaten, wait, wait, TX finally gets the paperwork in 3-5 months and then I'm all good.

Yes IL really sucks. I had to walk into the office last renewal, talk with the director and make them understand that one of their own in the other department has an expired license and that it really wouldn't be a good idea to have someone with an expired one to be working for the state when the paperwork was submitted 6 months before it expired.

I need to get my hands on some study guides for the medic as I haven't taken a test in almost 18 years and I doubt I'll ever be using my license.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.