How to set up switches for rotator bar

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Hi friends,

My dept is getting a brand new truck with NOS equipment that was tucked in storage in the city garage. Not really a big deal to me, however we are getting a brand new halogen lightbar and I have no idea how to set up the switches. The oldest bar I ever had at work was an edge 9000.

The switch box has the 3 position side switch and 4 independent switches.

The bar has outer colored rotators, center clear rotator, intersection sweeps, rear arrow stick, and takedowns and alleys.

I’m thinking the following:

Slide switch 1: rear hideaways.
Slide swich 2: add outer rotators.
Slide switch 3: add intersection sweeps & clear center rotator.

It’s usual for me not to have the ability to have rear lighting only so this is the best I could come up with. How did they set these things up back in the day? Does this sound decent?

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
depends on what the bar has in it.
Switch position 1, I usually do just the rear; Flashers, arrowstik flash pattern, HAW, etc.
Switch Position 2, Outer rotators, colored front flashers, front colored HAW, colored dash, etc
Switch Position 3, Intersection lights, center rotators, and anything containing White.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
doyle, there's only 3 or 4 bars i know that have interscections and only 2 i know of those that have an arrowstick..... and one or 2 of them are no longer "new" so my guess is either mx7000 or excaliber.... even though "new" is an understatement so it must be one that was hiding...

i would do the rear hideaways on one of the 4 switches... then have left right and alley on other 3.

slide 1: arrowstick (no controller for it?)

slide 2: outboard rotators (depending if swicth box allows the amperage as some are set up as 40 amps 10 amps 40 amps)

slide 3: center and sweeps

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
The bar is a star interceptor. The rear halogen arrow stick has a separate controller and as I can tell, there's no external wiring to activate a flash pattern off a separate switch. I know it's old school but the stuff is NOS so why not! The trucks also getting 6 hideaway strobes- 4 rear 2 front, and 2 grill generation 1 grill LEDs. The trucks not used for responding often.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Jesus...an interceptor...I haven't done one of those since 2006...I'll see if I have any of the old documentation

Reactions: LED

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I wouldn't even waist time with LEDs...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
generation 1 were crap during the day... and with all the strobes and halogen, you wont even see them at night...

Reactions: LED

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
I just did a rewire on a Star Sabre about 6 months ago...the Intersection Strobes now essentially block out the Gen 1 LED's in the front lower portion of the bar, and totally block out the rotators. The arrowstik is also Gen 1 LED's. can only see it on a cloudy day, or at night, when the rest of the bar isnt on.

However, same as the Excalibur, there is enough room to replace the lower deck lighting with Feniex Fusion Surface mount or light stick(dummy) Modules.
Whelen Ions, and most Sound-off modules will work as well, and will give you the same performance as the Feniex, with a bigger hole in your pocket. lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.