how to test speakers?

emtmike

May 24, 2010
brooklyn,ny
im looking to find out how to test speakers to see if they work, i have a sho me and a dynamax i want to test out

thanks

ffemtmike

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Connect the speaker leads to an ohm meter. You should get a reading of approximately 4 ohms if the speaker is good.

If the reading is significantly lower than 4 ohms, the speaker has a short.

If the reading is infinity, the speaker has an open.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Be careful confusing resistance and impedance, a 11 ohm IMPEDANCE speaker driver will measure about 4 ohms RESISTANCE with a VOM. To measure a speakers impedance requires additional electronic instruments and can vary depending on input frequency.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Henry455 said:
Be careful confusing resistance and impedance, a 11 ohm IMPEDANCE speaker driver will measure about 4 ohms RESISTANCE with a VOM. To measure a speakers impedance requires additional electronic instruments and can vary depending on input frequency.

Thanks! My mistake. I have corrected my post, above.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It does not matter which wire is + or - when testing. Those things only matter when you are running a dual speaker system. You are listening for a pop or a click when the battery terminals touch the wires, or a series of clicks when the wires are dragged across the battery terminals.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
On the back of the Dynamax there are two holes. Can these be used to test the resistance by putting the voltmeter leads into them (and touching the parts inside, obviously)? I think I just blew the Dynamax in my County ride today and am trying to fix/replace it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.