How-to Video : Retrofitting Feniex Cannons into fire apparatus strobe systems

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
I made this quick and dirty... but for those that were considering replacing their strobe systems with an LED head, this may be an option you hadn't considered. I have done this to several fire apparatus and the difference is literally night and day. The Feniex Cannon is 2-3 times brighter than the OEM strobe and is considerably less expensive than replacing the strobe fixture with an LED fixture.

The video does a how to... then at the end a quick side-by-side comparison. As usual, the video doesn't do it justice, but you can see that even with the flat footprint of the Cannon, it still fills the entire housing. (There were concerns that it would just light a circle in the middle). One of the housings had water infiltration and all the chrome plating had come off (you'll see it in the video). That light is the light above the drivers side wheel well... you'll see no difference in light output and that the cannon fills the whole fixture.

Let me know what you think. I'm sure someone's got an opinion out there! :cool: We retrofitted this engine with 6 Feniex Cannons and with all the supplies, I think it cost a total of about $500 out the door. Prior to this, the OEM strobe packs were burning up about once every 2 months, and one of the rear 7"x9" strobes were DOA.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.