Howler install problems

CptBiscuits

Apr 3, 2013
Idaho
Putting a whelen howler in a 2012 Tahoe and thought I had everything hooked up properly, but as soon as I hook the harness into the amp, the fuse pops in it. Do the speakers need to be mounter and wired to provide an additional ground? Am I missing something stupid here? Hoping someone with gobs of experience with these things can provide some input on tricks of the trade on this thing

Thanks all!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Sorry, I don't have gobs of experience, but I'm quite certain that there's no "additional ground" through the speaker.

The fuse blowing suggests a defective amp or wiring problem. Take a good look at connections on the red/white wire, which I believe is a +12V reference. If it's getting shorted to ground, that would cause problems.

Next step would be to d/c everything except power and ground, then add back one connection at a time until the fault occurs.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Speakers do not get grounded, both wires are connected to the siren. The Howler simply cuts into the feed between the siren and the speaker to activate the siren tones through the Howler speakers.

To be honest, I don't have gobs of experience either.

paladin

Mar 14, 2011
Arizona
CptBiscuits said:
Putting a whelen howler in a 2012 Tahoe and thought I had everything hooked up properly, but as soon as I hook the harness into the amp, the fuse pops in it. Do the speakers need to be mounter and wired to provide an additional ground? Am I missing something stupid here? Hoping someone with gobs of experience with these things can provide some input on tricks of the trade on this thing

Thanks all!

Not sure, but can you take pictures of your install and the mounting, and how it fits inside the bumper?

pingfung

Apr 23, 2011
valencia, venezuela
CptBiscuits said:
Here is the mount pics. I'm still working on it right now

I just saw the photo, not bad. but it would be nice to put the cover plate below the howler .. I tell you for a future not go to hit with an object someday

CptBiscuits

Apr 3, 2013
Idaho
So, I'm wiring the howler in and don't understand how to get the activation wires set up.

This is connecting to a cencom. Anyone give me some insight?

pingfung

Apr 23, 2011
valencia, venezuela
CptBiscuits said:
So, I'm wiring the howler in and don't understand how to get the activation wires set up.

This is connecting to a cencom. Anyone give me some insight?

my setting for the howler using a momentary switch, you can activate it with positive, and if you want to cancel it also you can push the same button, instead of putting one switch to activate and one to cancel

just set you cencom any aux available, remember momentary ok..

howlerinstall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
At work we have it triggered by the horn ring I guess u can do the same thing but have to wire in a relay. I might be doing my new fd chiefs truck and prob going to wire it the same way.

We are getting the 2013 Tahoe how is the spot you are mounting them seems little low that they might hit something. I thought in Tahoe you mount them where the tow hooks go. How's this spot thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.