Howler wiring

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Morning all, I am in the middle of a install where I would like to use a whelen SLSA6 siren to control the operation of a whelen howler. I already programmed one of the 6 push buttons to momentary for triggering the howler. What I am wanting to do is use a 5 pin relay to complete the circuit between wires 7 and 14 in the howler harness. Here is a pic of what I am trying to achieve. My question is will it work? The siren is positive switched and the howler just needs the 2 wires to be connected for operation from what I can see. Any thoughts or other ways to go about it? Or how you may have done it with that siren?. I am trying to avoid using random push buttons. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1485913909949_howler.jpg
    1485913909949_howler.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Howler relay.jpg
    Howler relay.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 8

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Your circuit will work, but it’s not necessary. The SLSA6 has two outputs that can function as isolated NC/NO switches by moving the corresponding fuse. See section 5.2 of the manual. https://www.whelen.com/install/141/14130.pdf

You can also activate the Howler via ground switching (using wire 3), which makes things even simpler.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
There are two relays built in to your 295SLSA6 that you could use for this purpose. Have a look at this excerpt from page 4 of the installation manual:

q6saxRr.png

Source: https://www.whelen.com/install/141/14130.pdf

Edit: @MtnMan had the answer two minutes before me. Nice!

Reactions: MtnMan
Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.