HT 1250 Narrow Band by channel?

towlercd

Jun 10, 2010
Potsdam, NY USA
As narrow banding is steadily approaching, some parts of the county are switching to narrow band before others due to difficulty in getting new repeaters up and running. We would like to keep our radios current so they will work with all needed frequencies. My question is can an HT 1250 be programmed channel by channel to wide or narrow band, or do you have to switch the whole radio over at once. Thanks!

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
towlercd said:
As narrow banding is steadily approaching, some parts of the county are switching to narrow band before others due to difficulty in getting new repeaters up and running. We would like to keep our radios current so they will work with all needed frequencies. My question is can an HT 1250 be programmed channel by channel to wide or narrow band, or do you have to switch the whole radio over at once. Thanks!

Each personality (channel) has a setting for 12.5, 20, or 25 KHz. channel spacing. That pretty much means that you can set each channel as you need it when you need it.

If you needed to do so, you could even set up a personality on a given channel for wideband, and a second personality on the same channel for narrowband and switch between the two when necessary. We expect that we'll have to do this for a while with common channels like the ambulance to hospital frequencies because it is highly unlikely that all the hospitals in a given region will make the jump at the same time.

towlercd

Jun 10, 2010
Potsdam, NY USA
Steve0625 said:
Each personality (channel) has a setting for 12.5, 20, or 25 KHz. channel spacing. That pretty much means that you can set each channel as you need it when you need it.

If you needed to do so, you could even set up a personality on a given channel for wideband, and a second personality on the same channel for narrowband and switch between the two when necessary. We expect that we'll have to do this for a while with common channels like the ambulance to hospital frequencies because it is highly unlikely that all the hospitals in a given region will make the jump at the same time.

Great! that set up is exactly what I was hoping we could do. Thanks for the help!

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
What we have been doing at the shop is going ahead and setting all channels(That are not going to change if narrowband hasn't been completed) to narrrowband. You can operate a narrowband radio on a wide band channel with no issue. You'll see in the NIFOG (National Interoperability guide of what interop frequencies are supposed to be in all radios) it says to have a wide and a narrow band channel per frequency. It is easier for the user to have 1 channel per set and to go ahead and set the channel to narrowband.

Making a narrowband channel on a wide band one will not affect anything other than volume on the receiving radio.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Jordan said:
You'll see in the NIFOG (National Interoperability guide of what interop frequencies are supposed to be in all radios)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! I knew there was something out there that listed this but couldn't remember what it was/where to find it. I've been trying to convince my former EMS director that we need to reprogram the radios in the ambulances for almost a year now. Any chance you have a link to this document or other information on how to obtain it if it's a sensitive document I understand not distributing it publicly but would it be available at a licensed installer with showing proper credentials or something? :thx:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
foxtrot5 said:
Any chance you have a link to this document or other information on how to obtain it if it's a sensitive document I understand not distributing it publicly but would it be available at a licensed installer with showing proper credentials or something? :thx:

Google is your friend. By searching on nifog I got over a thousand hits. The very top one took me direct to the DHS page for the NIFOG. There are download links near the bottom of the page for various versions of the guide.

National Interoperability Field Operations Guide | Homeland Security

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Sorry, it never occured to me to search for something like that on google. Especially not knowing what to call it. And when I did read this thread, I was on my way out the door for a physical therapy appointment.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.