Hybrid FPIU

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The 2020 model is stated to have a few more cargo cubic feet than current, that will be interesting to see as well as where they mount the battery. I can only guess it's in the void below the cargo deck between the 2nd row seat and the spare tire well.

Reactions: prty

prty

Apr 15, 2018
Ny, usa
The 2020 model is stated to have a few more cargo cubic feet than current, that will be interesting to see as well as where they mount the battery. I can only guess it's in the void below the cargo deck between the 2nd row seat and the spare tire well.

I hope they dont do any weird futuristic face lifts, it looks good as it is.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Evidently it's more than a refresh, it's a total body/floorpan do-over. Longer wheelbase is probably how it gains cargo space by inching forward the passenger compartment and changing from front wheel drive layout to rear drive layout.

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I’m not a fan of hybrids in this instance. I’m a big fan of govs going green and having hybrid fleets in other areas (ie PD/FD admin vehicles, parking enforcement, DPW, etc) but not for pursuit EVs.

With all the stop & go and other beatings that Patrol police cars have, I’m not sold yet on the idea of hybrids being used for them. I’m sure the NYPD guys will be happy to hear about these, though, b/c this new alternative will probably help get away from hybrid Nissan and Fusion RMPs.

I thought it was interesting that they went a step further and offered a plugin SS vehicle detectives & admin. If they’re parked at the station/HQ everyday then I think it’s a possibility, but I think they’re unrealistic in areas where LEOs have assigned take home vehicles (ie FL) b/c then the unions will argue about employees using home electricity to charge them

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
Anybody know if Ford is moving forward with the PPV Fusion hybrid and/or keeping the Police Interceptor Sedan in light of their announcement that they're dropping most car models?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
According to a Ford Police team member I discussed this with early last week, they're committed to the Police Fusion Hybrid for a few model years, the fate of the Interceptor Sedan past the 2018 model year is less clear.

prty

Apr 15, 2018
Ny, usa
According to a Ford Police team member I discussed this with early last week, they're committed to the Police Fusion Hybrid for a few model years, the fate of the Interceptor Sedan past the 2018 model year is less clear.

Well i know that ford is gonna stop prducing the taurus completely by 2019/20 so I'm only guessing the fpis is going with it too.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Since the Interceptor Sedan accounts for only 15% of their police vehicle sales probably but not definitely based on their commitment to the Police Fusion beyond the retail Fusion.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.