Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I'm digging this vector

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I added a brief tour video today (HD is still processing). Please excuse the mess, it was never meant to be stored in the room it is in.

Themes for upcoming videos include:
-Everything Oscillating by Whelen; from the Rotabeam Commander full circle to the Rotabeam LED and the halogen stuff in the middle.
-Whelen Advantedges
-Whelen Edge variants
-The progression of the Responder minibar and valubar
-Whelen Rarities (including portable battery operated strobes)
-The Whelen 8000, 80, 90 and Commander ERA
-Whelen ambulance products
-Early Whelen "Linear LEDS" that came before the Super LED line
-Whelen Mechanical tone sirens
-My favorite Code 3 XL5000/9000 features
-Stuff Code 3 made for the rear deck
-Stuff from Federal Signal I should not have bought or built (including a full vid on the custom Smart Vector)

And more by request... I also have around 1000 more pages of vintage catalogs filed away that have never been uploaded including ads for the Rotabeam Commander beacon.

I appreciate your time and views, I bought a new camera and I am setting up a power supply at a filming backdrop so this should be a lot better quality content.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
And my wife thinks I have too many? Wow! That's quite the collection and makes mine look microscopic.

Reactions: Pete L.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'm still waiting for a tracking number for the FireMaster...
I think that may be an in person pick up at this point..... the things FedEx could do to it....

I bought a later edition firemaster advantedge and look at the way they massacred my boy....

It arrived like that......in a factory box, smashed end cap exposed dangling by packing tape, the image haunts me to this day.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200410_135644938_HDR (2).jpg
    IMG_20200410_135644938_HDR (2).jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200410_135549282_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200410_135549282_HDR.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
I added a brief tour video today (HD is still processing). Please excuse the mess, it was never meant to be stored in the room it is in.

Themes for upcoming videos include:
-Everything Oscillating by Whelen; from the Rotabeam Commander full circle to the Rotabeam LED and the halogen stuff in the middle.
-Whelen Advantedges
-Whelen Edge variants
-The progression of the Responder minibar and valubar
-Whelen Rarities (including portable battery operated strobes)
-The Whelen 8000, 80, 90 and Commander ERA
-Whelen ambulance products
-Early Whelen "Linear LEDS" that came before the Super LED line
-Whelen Mechanical tone sirens
-My favorite Code 3 XL5000/9000 features
-Stuff Code 3 made for the rear deck
-Stuff from Federal Signal I should not have bought or built (including a full vid on the custom Smart Vector)

And more by request... I also have around 1000 more pages of vintage catalogs filed away that have never been uploaded including ads for the Rotabeam Commander beacon.

I appreciate your time and views, I bought a new camera and I am setting up a power supply at a filming backdrop so this should be a lot better quality content.
Want help organizing lol........im down for a roadtrip

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Want help organizing lol........im down for a roadtrip
There will come a time when items are documented and then given away or sold. I'm just breaking the surface now.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Looking forward to seeing those catalog pages
I am experimenting with digital photos vs. scanning, the scanner is tough with the thick catalogs bending pages back. Here is a teaser in lower quality.

Attachments

• 25059.jpeg
    25059.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 25060.jpeg
    25060.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I think the next video will be a teardown of my AMR edge. These were designed for use on van ambulances made by Leader Coach because the front lacked 9x7 (900) primary lights. The bars had the primary/secondary lights in the bar in the from of 700 series halogens at the ends and center. Since AMR buys in bulk many wound up on trucks that did have front facing primary/secondary lights, making the bars a bit redundant (like the videos below).

The setup goes as follows:
To the side a 400 flasher replacing alley, then from there in the front 700 red halogen (hooked into the ambulance's flasher system), 400 strobe clear, 400 strobe red, 700 clear halogen (hooked into the ambulance's flasher system or a red steady in CA), 400 strobe red, 400 strobe clear, 700 halogen red (hooked into the ambulance's flasher system), and finally an 400 halogen to the side replacing the alley. Here is a video of one in action installed on a truck that really didn't require it as there were front facing 900 primary/secondary lights. It's not my video but it gives an idea of what will be featured in the video.

Some action vis (not mine)

Here is a picture of mine pre-teardown

Attachments

• AMR.jpg
    AMR.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I remember those AMR edge bars. Always thought they were cool. Nice mix of strobe and halogen but also some sync due to hooking the halogens to the ambulances flasher.

Reactions: OliverD

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I remember those AMR edge bars. Always thought they were cool. Nice mix of strobe and halogen but also some sync due to hooking the halogens to the ambulances flasher.
Here is a rough video I shot on my phone after digging it out. The better quality version with a better backdrop is coming soon. But this gives you an idea of what the bar was about. Interestingly enough the side flashers were powered by an internal flasher and not hooked in with the ambulance flashers like the front ones.

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Here is a rough video I shot on my phone after digging it out. The better quality version with a better backdrop is coming soon. But this gives you an idea of what the bar was about. Interestingly enough the side flashers were powered by an internal flasher and not hooked in with the ambulance flashers like the front ones.

interesting. A friend of mine works at AMR here in steuben county ny.........interested to see how the 700 halogens were mounted, may try and do something like that setup.

kind of ironic but i actually have an ambulance flasher out of a decommissioned ambulance that i bought everything off of (dont ask what the hell im gonna do with as many 900s that i now own lol).

what length is the bar.....52”??

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
interesting. A friend of mine works at AMR here in steuben county ny.........interested to see how the 700 halogens were mounted, may try and do something like that setup.

kind of ironic but i actually have an ambulance flasher out of a decommissioned ambulance that i bought everything off of (dont ask what the hell im gonna do with as many 900s that i now own lol).

what length is the bar.....52”??
This one is 52" model 9m. When they used the 9000 series there were some shorter ones floating around with dual halo-beams in place of the 700s. It's an interesting concept.

Reactions: EHFD_Tower_751

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
okay. Guess i might have an idea with the frames i have ;)
The internals are interesting, the direct remote wire for the three front halogens is interesting, partially bypassing the control board. The biggest surprise I had was the side flashers running off an internal lightbar flasher. I has always assumed they were remote too. Maybe my memory fails me but I thought on the 9000 series ones the side lights were run off the ambulance flasher also. Someone find me a youtube video and prove me wrong I guess.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
@JohnMarcson
Here in CT, I could have sworn that I saw, at least some version (9000 or 9M), had the side halogens flash off of the ambulance flasher…. As they were Synced with the front corner red halogen.
but that’s going off memory…. I could be wrong.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I think that may be an in person pick up at this point..... the things FedEx could do to it....

I bought a later edition firemaster advantedge and look at the way they massacred my boy....

It arrived like that......in a factory box, smashed end cap exposed dangling by packing tape, the image haunts me to this day.
I know that trick.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
@JohnMarcson
Here in CT, I could have sworn that I saw, at least some version (9000 or 9M), had the side halogens flash off of the ambulance flasher…. As they were Synced with the front corner red halogen.
but that’s going off memory…. I could be wrong.

When Monroe County Michigan (just north of Toledo) used AMR in the late 1990s they used the 9000 version. The company I worked for mutual aided them and I remember doing a scene with them and thinking it was interesting that the lightbar flashers all synched (redundantly) with the Whelen 97 side and front lights. The bar makes way more sense on a truck with no front flashers on the box (like leader coach trucks). Like you said that was a long time ago, and I could have just assumed the side lights were synched too because the flash rate is similar. I would love to get my hands on one of the 9000 series ones, the 9000 series was much less modular and I'm interested in how they were assembled.

Reactions: firebuff17

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I added a short little video about the short lived "linear LED" today. I'm still setting up my filming area so I'm going to add content that doesn't require a huge back drop.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ok, here is one more short video taking us back in time in Whelen history. The Port-a-Strobe. A battery operated 4x3 strobe with very short run time and unknown purpose. The video also shows a similar device with a smoke alarm/detector attached which is far more common and detailed in catalogs of the time. I cannot find this specific product (the port-a-strobe) in any of my catalogs from the surrounding years when it was manufactured. If anyone has any info on this unique item please reply.

Reactions: OliverD

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
OH MY...........
l still have my red/clear one with the takedowns and center rotator, buy I felt like it was kind of greedy to have two when someone else was searching for one. I need to take to the domes off this one and clean it, I can do a domes off video. The way they repurposed the pierce-alert with gen I advantedge rotators is pretty cool.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Nice bar, interesting setup and in blue it looks good.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This looks like the AdvantEdge OSC that I sold you, John. If so, I found it for sale on Craigslist. The seller was a firefighter somewhere near Bremen, Indiana.
It might be; I had two all blue ones over the years (one already sold locally to a friend). One blue one was yours, from the Indiana vollie like you said. The other blue one was from a NY vollie. I also had the red/clear one I am keeping and an all red one with red/green outer lower flashers (sold on here). So I have had four and now I'll be down to one, which is heading in the direction my wife prefers. The two all blue ones were then same so I may never know. I like to think we keep these "in the ELB family".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.