I.D. Unmarked glass 'jelly jar' lights

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png Any idea who these are made by, or what they were used for? They have glass jelly-jar lenses.
I don't have them in my possession so I can't examine them. Supposedly no markings, just generic 12v stickers.

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
Nathan, thank you post posting the link, but I had already viewed the thread numerous times since this past summer, & had sent dmathieu messages about jelly jar lights a few months ago (further indicating I was aware of the thread & not just being lazy or refusing to use the search function). I see all the examples & pics of the light in the thread, but they all look so similar to me & none of them look like the four exemplars I posted photos of.

However, I know nothing about these jelly jar lights, so I posted it here hoping someone would recognize them & tell me a make/model/more information than I have currently.

Do you know what specific brand or model these lights are? Or if the vintage/decade they were used? If so, I greatly appreciate any help in identifying them, as I'm currently stumped.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
This was a vintage/version of the Federal Sign and Signal BR 2. They rebadged, or resold to other companies, one of which was Do-Ray. The Federal version had a black metal tag attached with 2 screws. Most of these companies had no markings on the light, just the labels on the box. I have a NOS Do-Ray like this, on which only the box is marked with the Do-Ray name. These were popular as inexpensive warning on tow, police, and fire vehicles in the 1950s and 1960s.
This light would be classified as "bee hive" because of the beehive fluted design of the lens.

Reactions: tsquale and bmd224

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
This was a vintage/version of the Federal Sign and Signal BR 2. They rebadged, or resold to other companies, one of which was Do-Ray. The Federal version had a black metal tag attached with 2 screws. Most of these companies had no markings on the light, just the labels on the box. I have a NOS Do-Ray like this, on which only the box is marked with the Do-Ray name. These were popular as inexpensive warning on tow, police, and fire vehicles in the 1950s and 1960s.
This light would be classified as "bee hive" because of the beehive fluted design of the lens.
Thank you for the info!! I greatly appreciate it! Guy has 3 reds & 1 blue and wants $25 each. Fair price?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Well, not name brand. Are there any chips in the glass? If just collecting, do you need 4 of the same? Is the chrome just dirty, or pitted etc.?
$25 is not crazy, but if you decide to sell any of them, you may or may not get your money back. Some of the name brand in nice condition can sell for a good deal more than $25.
I guess it comes to how much you like them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.