I think I just did a first...

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
By putting a smart vector on a rag top.

This is the first winter I am going to be driving this Tracker instead of storing it. I shaped a crossbar out of foam and fiber-glassed it for the strength. It is only up for the winter but easily removable with 4 bolts. I put 4 crush nuts in the bar connecting the A and B pillar to bolt the bar to the vehicle. I had a 7 pod Smart Vector on another vehicle that I had to part with (hence not driving this in the winter) and got to thinking. I cut the 7 pod down to a 5 pod and moved the Smart pods over one to the center. I used fiberglass to make a new back cover then put a piece of angle-iron over the back so I can mount STT to it. I let the iron stick off the edges about 4 in so I can mount a marker on the front of it too.

DSCI0057.JPG

DSCI0058.JPG

DSCI0059.JPG

DSCI0060.JPG

DSCI0061.JPG

DSCI0062.JPG

DSCI0066.JPG

DSCI0069.JPG

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
its a 5 pod, 3 to rotate, 2 "spotlights" for what ever. I have a minibar I have used in the summer with the top down. I dont think 3 rotators are over kill.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
dmathieu said:
I love experimentation, especially when something nice comes out of it.
Dan
+1

FedSig's European VAMA branch routinely offers 5-pod vectors for the smaller vehicles there, but it's nice to see stuff like this. 5-pod Vectors aren't available in the States, and clear domes with colored filters like that aren't available on a Vector anywhere (I think) - I really like it.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Amber rotators appear to be C3 MX7000 types retrofitted in place of the originals. Neat project, though :) .

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
Squad-6 said:
Turned out ok & great ingenuity but why exactly do you need so much amber warning on a little red Tracker?

Probably cuz of the fact that they are a towing company. Lots of towing companies around here use small SUV's, P/U's, vans, etc. for service calls. Much cheaper to drive a SUV to a jump start than a F550 turbo diesel, etc.

I like the chopped down vector, looks good on the tracker. What are the lights above the RVM?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Mike L. said:
I like the chopped down vector, looks good on the tracker. What are the lights above the RVM?

Thanks.

It is a remote mirror strobe I also have 2 strobes on the back. They are more of a summer thing, strobes and a minibar.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Wailer said:
First time I saw an amber Vector. :eek:
I've seen an all-amber (no clear pods) one on a heavy tow truck, and also a handful of the police cadet cars in my old city had the same setup as the actual "police" cars, but amber instead of blue: 5 rotators, all amber, TDs, ALs, amber rear flashers, and a TA. Change all the amber lights blue except the TA and you've got the same color setup as the "real" police cars. (They either had an amber setup just like normal police cars, or an amber Highlighter strobe mini bar)

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
LL&S said:
That's going to be one heck of a cold vehicle during the winter

Nope, their are 2 flaps on the bottom of the roof. The bar actually helps keep one of them from lifting and blocks the air. Before this bar, side winds would lift both flaps and blow inside. You could stick your hand between the car and roof.

I did have to put a 1/2 inch foam strip under the front of the bar to keep the roof from flapping against the bar.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What a fun project. I love a good custom build. Good work.

Of course I feel it's my duty to tell you that a single sentry roator would have been plenty..... :lol: :lol:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
JohnMarcson said:
Of course I feel it's my duty to tell you that a single sentry roator would have been plenty..... :lol: :lol:
Properly mounting one of those on a canvas top would have REALLY been a project. At least with this one it's wide enough so it can fit on the frame.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
My mexi...ahem... foreign worker has one of these. It may not be my first choice in car, but he only pays $10 in gas to commute to work every week. I pay about $25 a week. He also lives farther away from the shop than me.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
My wife used to have a two door, soft top tracker. The problem was she was a vol FF and SC says you have to be visible 360. A 5 pod Vama vector was my first thought, but she said hell no. She wanted me to figure out a way for her to use a throw light. I ended up painting a piece of 4x4 aluminum flat back and bolting it to the roll bar, on top of the vinyl roof. It turned out ok, you couldn't notice it unless you were close or knew it was there. Then she could just toss her dashlaser up there before she got in. I definately like your version better. Now, after she got rid of it, she said that she would have been of with a low profile mini LED bar. :x Oh well, I avoided driving it like the plaque . . . it was a pinkish purple. :?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
How about something like this undercover light bracket. It slips over the side window. roll it down, hook this on, roll it up. Late 60s - early 70s vintage. Folly adjustable height and angle.

Dan

ai684.photobucket.com_albums_vv204_dmathieu51_S6301082.jpg

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
dmathieu said:
How about something like this undercover light bracket. It slips over the side window. roll it down, hook this on, roll it up. Late 60s - early 70s vintage. Folly adjustable height and angle.
Dan

ai684.photobucket.com_albums_vv204_dmathieu51_S6301082.jpg

Thats neat

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.