I was bored, so I started brain storming...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
While on mt 6 hour shift on Sunday (1400-0600) I was diggin through a box of misc. accent lighting that I have... Stuff like neon tubes and el-cheap-o pilot strobes and such. Well I found a pair of Street Glow 12" LED Accent lights... Well I happened to have an LED flasher that came with the Inner Beams that I bought from charlie82 and in my bordom. hooked the LED tubes up to the flasher... And they wokred pretty decent... This got the wheels in my mind turning... I think I'm going to put these as a secondary lighting on the rear of my Avalanche, instead of my TIR-3s between my tailgate and bumper... The only thing I want to do is paint them so the blend in better then they do now... LOL

I know this sounds cheesey and it kinda is, but like I said, I was bored... I'm gonna see how it looks and performs... LoL

Any opinions/thoughts/criticism...?

Here is what they look like...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Mobile_20Uploads_25ab1fd6.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Mobile_20Uploads_28964db3.jpg

And here's a quick vid with it hooked up to the flasher...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Mobile_20Uploads_th_video_2010_06_13_18_24_12.jpg

Pardon the vid quality, my phone was on the worng setting... LOL

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Hey if you like it and it does what you want that perfect for you! Some people on here will probably bash you, but more power to you for saving 70 or so bucks on some tir3's!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
True that... These are very directional, hardly any off axis lighting, hecne ther reason they will do fine between my bumper and tailgate... I currently have a pair of TIR-3s back there, but I want to put the somewhere else... LOL I think when I get them painted they'll look better and function too...

Thanks for the support Fast LT1!!!

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
A friend of mine had one of those stop/turn led strips between his bumper and tailgate on his truck, hooked to a sho me flasher. It worked great! I dont see how this would be much different, go for it!

ibby

May 28, 2010
I dont know how well it will work in terms of effectiveness and brightness, and it kind of reminds me of those douches listening to persian trance in their slammed civic, but +1 for productivity at work.

I browse this forum at work... about as productive as it gets for me! lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well I got some free time and got this project completed... Now, these are by no means a primary warning device, but they are noticable and work for what I need them to be.

What I did was mask them off and spray painted them with satin black krylon fusion paint. then I just mounted them where my TIR-3's used to be.

Here's a short vid in day light, about 1500... Sorry for the quality, it was taken quickly from my phone and it was on the lower resolution...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Mobile_20Uploads_th_video_2010_07_01_20_32_57.jpg

Now I have a pair of TIR-3's to find a home for... No, they won't be for sale, not just yet anyway... LoL

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
A volly FF in my dept has those exact leds mounted on his A pillars on his Suv for intersection warning looks ehhhhh :? but yours looks pretty sweet i like it im actually thinking of converting my Led strip turn stop light and hooking up a cheap $20 sho me flasher to it like some of the other members here have. Nice job man looks nice :)

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
rick h. said:
mount the tirs on your license plate . maybe ?
That's a possibility... LoL

Station 3 said:
A volly FF in my dept has those exact leds mounted on his A pillars on his Suv for intersection warning looks ehhhhh :? but yours looks pretty sweet i like it im actually thinking of converting my Led strip turn stop light and hooking up a cheap $20 sho me flasher to it like some of the other members here have. Nice job man looks nice :)
Thanks bro... Like I said, they aren't anywhere near as bright as my TIR-3's, but they are also only secondary warning, and they do a fine job at that... LoL

pondfly

May 21, 2010
IL
The strip between the tailgate and the bumper on the Avy's are perfect for small lighting. I had a set of LX-4's down there and they were perfect.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.