ICOM Radio interference or something???

fireman13

Dec 21, 2010
ny
I have an icom mobile in my truck and when the truck is off, but the radio is on i can have it in scan mode and works good. As soon as i turn the key on the radio starts picking up on channels and squelching. I had them take out the channel that it was picking up on and all it did was go to the next channel and start again.

I should include some info for you guys: It is VHF narrowbanding, radio is powered directly from the battery, and the truck is a 02 F350 with a 7.3 diesel. Not sure if any of that matters but save some questions you might have.

I also would like to hook it up so it comes on when i turn the key on but i can continue to search for ways to do that.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Could be a grounding problem or some poorly insulated wires near your radio or antenna. As for the ignition you can run it directly to an ignition fuse using a fuse tap or use a relay powered by an ignition source.

fireman13

Dec 21, 2010
ny
would you recommend a relay or a solenoid? I have the radio and siren and lights that i would like to have them only work when the keys on.

fireman13

Dec 21, 2010
ny
I should also tell ya that it hasn't always done this. when it was first installed it was fine and then about 7 months ago this started. i have had it about a year now

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Check your antenna wire and the antenna it's self (unscrew the antenna and check whether anything it corroded or dull). Sounds like what is called "rude RF" and it can be coming from any number of things. Vehicle's computer, alternator, etc. If it has been good for some time, then chances are that it is in the cable or antenna it's self. If there is any corrosion, clean it with some fine sand paper and see how it works.

fireman13

Dec 21, 2010
ny
to save a bunch of time could i just unplug the antenna on the radio and see if it still does it? then i would have to pull down my headliner and all that crap.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
You could try it, but chances are that it will not do it since whatever is causing the interference is not going to be near the antenna or cable. I would recommend starting with the antenna it's self. Question. Is it one of those antennas with the small spring on it? If so, bend the antenna way over so you can see inside the spring. There will be either a braided wire or a regular wire that goes from the top of the spring area to the bottom. A lot of times this wire will break at one end or the other and this will allow interference to get in as well. If it is not, remove the antenna and clean the inside of the antenna base (where it screws onto the vehicle mount) and clean the base area that the antenna screws on to. These are the easiest things to try first.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.