Ideas about Whelen Liberty Duo I/O Board as Brain Box?

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
For those that have followed my random questions, You'll know my idea to have a 3-level dual color warning light system for my truck without a huge control head, preferably using a Unitrol switch box. (My first build had one, and I like 'em for sentimental reasons).

Thinking about buying a used one, I asked about the Whelen CenCom, and after your kind responses (and downloading the Whelen Cencom Gold and Command programs and playing with them) I realized that the only devices that would do the task I was looking to do - 3 levels of synchronized patterns in amber, blue or both - were a little over my budget for a system I only anticipate using a dozen time a year, even used at half MSRP.

Back to the drawing board.

Not understanding them, I then asked about repurposing a WeCan Control Point. Your replies helped me understand the nature of what that equipment does, and two posts in that thread gave me a clue towards this idea:

This probably isn't kosher to the community but I use to have my whole car run off a Whelen liberty IO board installed in a project box. Gave me the wecan functionality I wanted and it plugged right into my cencom but you could also plug it into the wecan control point.

What about using a liberty sc I/O board and running off the mpc, I had a thought about that myself.

So after discovering that syncing multiple Liberty I/O boards is only possible with the higher end CenCom units (and that SmartLogic flashers can't be synced with other ones), I started looking around for used items and playing with the Command setup I think that this system may be the way that would work best, providing the utility I need without costing over a grand for controls alone, but figured I'd ask for opinions. Below is a diagram showing where the outputs for heads would be remotely located, as well as the warning level (1-2) and the inputs & events for the WeCan Control Point, as well as where my Frankenstein Unitrol box will be connected into the system.

Whelen WeCan Illustration.png

If the board provides the patterns it shows in the demo, this just might work. Now I just need to see how big the board is, and what kind of case I can get to protect it under the seat.

Thanks for putting up with a n00b.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.