Ideas for a compact siren/airhorn for UTV

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
My agency has a surplus Kawasaki T-rex UTV. We've done a good job with lighting using a mixture of Whelen, Code 3, and Rigid LEDs we were able to scrounge up. However on more than one occasion we have found a need for an airhorn or siren. The challenge is the need for it to be weather resistant. We looked at some Whelen motorcycle units but they are cost prohibitive.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Abacus has the right idea...wscc 30 watter.

Wouldn't it just be easier to yell?, lol.

Reactions: kadetklapp

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Whelen unit looks like the ticket, don't know how I missed this. Says users must supply switch...brmv you got any pics of your setup?

Now if I could just get the headlights to flash!

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Here ya go, Arron
They are Whelen WS-310 MPA Harley Davidson amps.
I have the pin-out sheet with it but not the motorcycle side
of the plug. I kept one of these for myself so I used my one plug
to test it. I would only be using the air horn function.
I did test this one and it is full 100 watts with wail, yelp and air horn.
I don't have a mic to test the PA function.
PM on the way.
WhelenHarley 001.JPG WhelenHarley 002.JPG

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
The switches are both negative ground so a very simple installation and a double toggle single throw switch fits perfectly. I have posted before that a 100watt set up on a quad or utv is too loud

gorenbeth

May 27, 2022
United States
One option for a compact siren/airhorn for UTV is the Wolo Bad Boy. It is only 4.5 inches tall and 5.5 inches wide, making it one of the smallest airhorns on the market. Another option is the Kleinn Model 6127 of kemimoto, which is a bit larger at 6.5 inches tall and 7.5 inches wide. Both of these options are relatively inexpensive, with the Wolo Bad Boy costing around $30 and the Kleinn Model 6127 costing around $50.

Reactions: wolomfgcorp

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
There is always the two different tone higher quality car horns on a flasher making a homemade hi-lo siren.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.