Ideas for a Tomar bar I have lying around.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
So, I have an all red tomar 48" strobe/halogen bar with td. It has 2 front, 2 side and 2 rear strobes. Also 2 front, 2 corner, and 2 rear halogen flashers. I can not get nearly enough $ out of it to sell it. I paid $700 for it and it has little use on it. I don't want to sell it for $100, but I don't have many ideas what to do with it. I have thought of taking all components out and placing the strobes behind the grill and in the rear window. Could I get more money parting it out? It's just taking up garage space now. Any suggestions? Tomar led's are too expensive to convert it.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
You could get some Whelen 700 Series to use in place of the halogen lights. The 700 Series are almost exactly the same size as the Tomar RECT-37s.

700 Series: 3-1/16" H x 7-1/4" W x 1-3/4" D.

RECT-37: 7.25" wide x 3.0" high x 1.125" deep

Using some used 700 Series that are usually not to difficult to find would be much cheaper than getting some new RECT-37 heads. Also I have rarely seen any used RECT-37 LED heads for sale.

In terms of which would get you the most money, parting the bar out would probably be worth more than selling it as a whole, in my opinion.

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Put it on top of your vehicle! Don't be hesitant in using older strobe/halogen systems in the age of LED's. Often times the stationary flashing halogens on these combo bars are visible long before the flash of the strobes/leds come through. Very effective!

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Agreed, you could make a pretty interesting project bar with the strobes and some LED's mixed in. I love Tomar products, especially the neobe strobes, so I'm always happy to see someone keeping those bars around. Good luck!

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Thanks guys. I have an led converted Jetsonic on my truck now. I love the Neobes but I get around 30 less miles on a tank of fuel with the Tomar on top. The halogen flashers are definitely visible a lot further than the strobes. I could probably get $300 selling locally, which to me is a great deal for this bar. It's a great light, but I've seen the prices on here and have also noticed they don't seem to sell very quickly either. I'm thinking of taking the led bar off my truck as it is and using the leds in a less conspicuous set up. Will the 700s line up with the existing holes?

Also, is there a good led for the small, I believe, 4x4 corner flashers?

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
The Whelen 400 series would fit. Then, you would have linear lights that could supplement the front; and, if you get the lin-12, you'll have dual color intersection lights!

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Would it be a sin to convert it to all Whelen leds? I am kinda diggin the idea of leaving the outboard strobes on the front, rear and sides and converting all else to led. Anyone care to throw a guestimate at what I may be looking at for price. I could probably start with 3 700s for the front flashers, the 2 400s, and leave the back blank except for the strobes already there and moving the takedown to the rear for a work light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.