Identify this rotating assembly

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
Thank you! I'm looking forward to getting it, though it's at the end of the line of my projects. I *still* haven't polished my Whelen 99 dome, and after that's done, my poor neglected S&W 8884. And after that is my Dietz 235-6927! So the hill light is a long ways off. Just glad I pulled the trigger on it when it popped up, even though I wasn't sure what it was.

I used Eastwood.com ”cadmium“ paint kit that turned out pretty good, but at $60, you can probably get it re-plated.

Sometimes you just gotta jump! I snagged a 174 that was missing the tag and the seller didn’t know what it was (didn’t test it either)…but one of the photos of the gear box showed the tell-tale oscillation gear shaft. Got it for a song.

Last edited:

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
So it arrived this morning and I finally got around to taking it out of the box and checking it out. I checked the bulbs for voltage markings and saw 12v on two of them. I glanced at the wiring and just for gits and shiggles I checked continuity between the chassis and positive and found nothing but a dead short everywhere I checked. I unscrewed the bulb retainer tabs and looked a little more closely at the wiring - what a disaster. Putting voltage to it would've just blown a fuse, or worse... I got it back to the way it should've been, but I was short one jumper and wound up making one for testing sake. I checked for continuity again, found everything to be acceptable, and fired it up. Motor is strong and has a nice tone to it, no grinding or slipping or strain, and all the ancient incandescent bulbs light up, even the two I managed to pop the terminals off their stubs. Here's a brief video (sorry about my crazy old lady at the end; she's hard of hearing but has perfect vision and flashing lights set her off sometimes).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.