In my travels

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I'm out and about, driving around some back roads, out of boredom and found this. I turned around to snap a few pictures, looks like a twinsonic with some old, fireball in front of it on an old firetruck. This is pretty cool, because the twinsonic is still on its original vehicle, just parked and forgotten. It looks like it's in good shape, lenses might be brittle tho.

Would this be worth asking the owner about? Possibly making a sale? The lights not the truck, lol....I would like the truck tho. Anyways I thought it was pretty cool to see an old light still on its original firetruck. Nice piece of history.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-03-18-10-25-17-820.jpg
    IMG_2023-03-18-10-25-17-820.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 73
Looks like a model 12 TwinSonic behind a model 17 (early version with smaller diameter dome). The 17 was probably original to the truck, the TS added much later.

It‘s hard to tell from the photo, but I’d say go for it...maybe $100 for both. Based on my recent experience, pay only after you determine all the parts are there. And make sure to bring Vice Grips, bolt cutters and a big toolbox. :cool:

Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I was talking shop with another person who works on aftermarket equipment on vehicles and also collects certain items; we started talking toolboxes and the number of different types of vise grips, pry bars, cutting options, and overall, just the wrong tool for the right job that we carried was pretty funny.

That said, as it was pointed out. Make sure you know what's in these before you make any offers. I have seen twin sonics that are literally just a shell with LP 6000 rotators shoved inside.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I'm going to ask the house nearest it, if they would even consider getting rid of them first. If they say sure, I'll walk over and investigate them for right parts. I think I'm pretty good at knowing what is what....I know the twinsonic should have those sealed beam type lighthouse rotators(that's what I call them). I want the name tags to be on them as well. I hate it when they don't have the name tags. TBH I don't really get into the twinsonics, but I'm more re interested in that little red dot in front of it. I hope it has a name tag on it. Well I'll just ask first and take a look at them before I decide.

The original control boxes might be in there too. That would be cool

If the beacon in front of the TS has 2 bulbs “in a can”, then it’s a 17. As I said, it’s hard to tell in the photo, but it appears there is a bit of “shoulder“ where the dome and skirt meet (making it an early model), and it looks like the FedSig model plate is still on the front of the beacon.

The “control boxes” would be a toggle switch…really old school.

Reactions: NVFD612 and Tango7

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I am going to be the contrarian here. I do not think that is a TwinSonic. The domes look more square-ish, the rotators, from what little I can see, don't look right to be Federal Signal, and there looks like there is a V-mirror adjacent to the speaker section. I'm thinking it might be a Dietz Omni-Chief bar.

The beacon looks like a Beacon Ray, likely a Model 17 and also likely is original to the truck.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I am going to be the contrarian here. I do not think that is a TwinSonic. The domes look more square-ish, the rotators, from what little I can see, don't look right to be Federal Signal, and there looks like there is a V-mirror adjacent to the speaker section. I'm thinking it might be a Dietz Omni-Chief bar.

The beacon looks like a Beacon Ray, likely a Model 17 and also likely is original to the truck.
Would a Dietz omni cheif be anything desirable, or would it of been the Wolo of the times?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
There are relatively few surviving Omni-Chief bars. For a Dietz collector, I would expect they would be a prized possession. Dietz was definitely not a Wolo in the world of emergency lighting, Dietz produced very good products and their line of beacons was very popular, but their lightbars never gained the popularity enjoyed by Federal Signal or Whelen.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
The aluminum ladder on the rear side of the truck looks melted, as if the rear of the truck may have been in a fire. Be sure the rear of the lenses aren't damaged.

@stansdds, your “contrarian “ comment is valid…precisely why I stated that payment should occur only after verification that the lights are intact. The lightness of the area where the cascading mirrors should be were a tip that it may not be intact or, indeed a TS (end caps would make that an easy determination). If it is a late-model Omni-chief (with a cheap bare-bones lamp cage), I’d leave it on the truck and focus on the 17…start at $50. To remove, you only need a screw driver to remove the 3 screws from the skirt and bolt cutters to sever the 3 all-thread mounts.

What’s not visible in the photo is the ALF bell (should be on the front bumper)…that would be worth some $$$!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
If the truck was restored with a mechanical siren, I'd remove the TwinSonic and leave the Beacon Ray on the roof.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
In my travels, I was in a neighboring town and stopped in a business that I used to work in snow removal. As I hadn’t seen the owner in a few years. I happened to spy a red dome way in the corner of the lot. Upon further snooping, lo and behold sitting in the weather for who knows how long on a well aged tractor was a Rota-Beam with a single reflector. My friend let me have it, but I made him take a $20 and have lunch on me. He claims it did work but it’s been in the corner for a handful of years. I present to the masses :…..
F9DBAC10-C34D-41D1-AC38-3D55F266ADC0.jpegBC93A14F-A604-447B-AE64-6F194333A8CA.jpegBEF4FC8C-B2BF-44FA-9192-5D68C2DF0F6B.jpeg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.