In need of siren control help

rynec

Oct 31, 2023
Wisconsin
I am trying to work with limited space when building a ranger for a local department. I already have the lights wired to a rocker switch panel. I am looking for insight on running the siren off a rocker switch to activate it and a momentary button to switch through the tones rather than using the typical SOS control panel. Has anyone done this? I have seen a department that had an unmarked with a rocker switch to activate the siren before, however, I need some insight on how to accomplish it. The siren used in this is an older Soundoff 380R.

I've done this with several different sirens. I'm not familiar with the Soundoff 380R but just looking at it on the web, I'd say that the siren's main power needs to be connected to a relay that is controlled by your "Siren" rocker switch. Leave the siren's selector switch in whatever tone mode that you wish to be the "default" tone.

The momentary button can be connected to the Man/ Horn RIng input on the siren to toggle between tones while the siren is on. Some sirens prefer that input to be 12 volt +, while others prefer it to be a grounded input. Some sirens can accept either type signal depending on configuration.

There are sirens that are better suited to this type of application, and more compact that are designed to be operated ONLY via remote toggle/momentary switches. And there are other ways to connect yours in addition to what I've laid out here.

Hope this helps
Bob

Upvote 0
I've done this with several different sirens. I'm not familiar with the Soundoff 380R but just looking at it on the web, I'd say that the siren's main power needs to be connected to a relay that is controlled by your "Siren" rocker switch. Leave the siren's selector switch in whatever tone mode that you wish to be the "default" tone.

The momentary button can be connected to the Man/ Horn RIng input on the siren to toggle between tones while the siren is on. Some sirens prefer that input to be 12 volt +, while others prefer it to be a grounded input. Some sirens can accept either type signal depending on configuration.

There are sirens that are better suited to this type of application, and more compact that are designed to be operated ONLY via remote toggle/momentary switches. And there are other ways to connect yours in addition to what I've laid out here.

Hope this helps
Bob
Thanks for the reply! I had them talked into buying an ATV-specific self-contained siren, but then they decided they wanted to stick with using what they had lying around, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

The horn ring is a ground side switch on these. It should be easy to wire, not easy to "do". What I mean is this will work, but it will be kind of a pain for a few reasons

• The what the horn ring does and programming it
    • It's a little complicated (a series of key presses outlined in the manual)
    • It requires the siren control head to setup
    • It may not give you 100% of the functions you want.
      • Whelen's hands free mode tap on, tap tone change, double tap off is what you want, but SOS doesn't use it
        • You can set the horn ring to scroll, but not turn the unit off
      • You will likely have to run another switch to one of the power wires on the siren to shut the tones off
      • You many have to leave the siren "on" or in a specific mode to get the functionality you need
  • The siren will need the control head plugged in anyway
    • You will need to hide the control head somewhere because it has to be connected to function properly.
    • You will have a working control head under the seat or where ever and a "not great" switching situation instead of just using the control head.
Programming the horn ring:

mode.PNG
Wiring it

380r.png

This is going to be a huge pain, and probably not work the way you want. Also, you will have a fully functioning control head hidden somewhere. I would decline to use this siren for this purpose. It's not a reliable or proper setup.

What always happens:

Customer- "I want this used item installed to save money"
Installer- "That won't work very well, you should buy the right part"
Customer "just do it the way I said"
Installer- "OK but...."
1 install job later................
Customer "This doesn't work right, you installed it wrong"
Installer- "No, I installed the wrong equipment at your request"
Customer- "What will it cost to do it right?"
Installer- "More than if you would have let me do it right to start"

I would give them the option of using the siren as designed (with the factory control head) or buying a cheap undercover siren designed to work on simple switches. Installing a full siren to run off of the horn ring only, especially in limited space, is going to set you up for problems. I have a remote Code 3 I would sell for $50, and retail isn't much more on other similar sirens. You will save yourself so much headache if you use the right siren.

Last edited:
Reactions: QUICKONE and rynec
Upvote 0
On the average a Polaris Charging system output averages 500W which is about 40 ADC.

With a UTV I usually install a secondary 12V battery with a Cole Herese Battery Isolator so that they'll always have a starting battery at the ready, especially for Public Safety applications.

I usually use a Whelen 35W WSSC Siren with their small handlebar switch flat mounted on the UTVs dash.
Whelen WSSC

Just my .02

Reactions: JohnMarcson
Upvote 0
This is really good advice. The bet that the Code 3 remote siren that John has would indeed be a better fit. I have a Whelen Gamma siren that works fine and could also work for you, in place of the switch panel you are using. (the Gamma has two rocker switches that could be used to control the lights while allowing a functional siren. I'd sell it to you very cheap if that will help

-Bob

The horn ring is a ground side switch on these. It should be easy to wire, not easy to "do". What I mean is this will work, but it will be kind of a pain for a few reasons

• The what the horn ring does and programming it
    • It's a little complicated (a series of key presses outlined in the manual)
    • It requires the siren control head to setup
    • It may not give you 100% of the functions you want.
      • Whelen's hands free mode tap on, tap tone change, double tap off is what you want, but SOS doesn't use it
        • You can set the horn ring to scroll, but not turn the unit off
      • You will likely have to run another switch to one of the power wires on the siren to shut the tones off
      • You many have to leave the siren "on" or in a specific mode to get the functionality you need
  • The siren will need the control head plugged in anyway
    • You will need to hide the control head somewhere because it has to be connected to function properly.
    • You will have a working control head under the seat or where ever and a "not great" switching situation instead of just using the control head.
Programming the horn ring:

View attachment 251927
Wiring it

View attachment 251926

This is going to be a huge pain, and probably not work the way you want. Also, you will have a fully functioning control head hidden somewhere. I would decline to use this siren for this purpose. It's not a reliable or proper setup.

What always happens:

Customer- "I want this used item installed to save money"
Installer- "That won't work very well, you should buy the right part"
Customer "just do it the way I said"
Installer- "OK but...."
1 install job later................
Customer "This doesn't work right, you installed it wrong"
Installer- "No, I installed the wrong equipment at your request"
Customer- "What will it cost to do it right?"
Installer- "More than if you would have let me do it right to start"

I would give them the option of using the siren as designed (with the factory control head) or buying a cheap undercover siren designed to work on simple switches. Installing a full siren to run off of the horn ring only, especially in limited space, is going to set you up for problems. I have a remote Code 3 I would sell for $50, and retail isn't much more on other similar sirens. You will save yourself so much headache if you use the right siren.

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nstevens826