Input on install in 2005 Tahoe fire POV

NCFF/P

Nov 24, 2016
NC
I currently have a 2005 Tahoe and am replacing my STL junk with some higher quality stuff. I currently have the following:
  • Feniex Cobra 2x, it's the v2 with R/W split heads
  • 8x Feniex T3s, 4 red 4 white. Have 4 L mounts and a LP bracket. One red doesn't work, so I will either warranty it if I can find a use or just install 6.
  • 2x Avenger duals, R/A
  • 2x LINZ6 red
  • SOS 6 switch box
I'm thinking Cobra in the windshield, high or low?
Have 4 T3 grille lights, do 2 red and 2 white stacked next to each other and synced so that they act like one big head, or have them split over the grille?
Possibly have the other 2 T3s on an intersection bracket? Or side warning in a window?
Have the Avengers mounted in the top of the rear, mounted so I can open the hatch and they stay in position.
Don't really have a place for the LINZ6s, possibly put on an LP bracket towards the rear? Or would those be better suited as intersectors and leave the Avengers only to the rear.

If anyone knows if a Cobra dash will sync with the T3s it would be appreciated, same with the Avengers with the LINZ6s. Possibly have the front white on a separate switch on the box so I can kill it if need be. Thinking front warn, rear warn, white, which leaves me with 3 blank if I add a TLF, or scene lights.

Overall, it's overkill for what I really need, mostly rural responses to the station and scene on medicals. I appreciate any input the gurus on the forum can offer, because I don't exactly know how I want this laid out.

Last edited:

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Cobra 2x: Grill, mounted center.
Feniex T3: All 8 upper windshield, 4 each side
Avenger Duals: Rear window, high
LINZ6: Side/intersection

I'd also add a good HLF and TLF.

NCFF/P

Nov 24, 2016
NC
Cobra 2x: Grill, mounted center.
Feniex T3: All 8 upper windshield, 4 each side
Avenger Duals: Rear window, high
LINZ6: Side/intersection

I'd also add a good HLF and TLF.

Do you think I might be better off selling the Cobra for something better suited to be a grille light? How are the LUNZ6s going to work behind factory tint?

Unfortunately as far as NC laws, it excludes volunteer POVs from having "electronically modulated headlights". I'm thinking I can get away with a TLF but they were pretty clear a HLF won't fly.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Sell 4 clear T3’s & Cobra 2x

FRONT:
• 2 Dual Avengers*
• 4 Red T3’s in upper grill (mounted in pairs horizontally so that it looks like a pair of T6 behind grill)

REAR:
• 2 linz6 on LP bracket (the linz6 don’t punch thru tint well so keep them outside)
• Buy 1 pair HAW strobes in brake lights (love HAWs in that era tahoe/suburban)
• Buy a pair of Amber Fusion 40’s (or T3’s if really budget limited) and Mount them to the rear headliner. Rear headliner lights are good for those calls when you’re parked on scene, and amber is arguably the best (IMO) safety/warning color for the rear

* Send the the Dual Avengers to Wilson and have him change the amber diodes so that the dual avengers are all red. You can’t sync them with the linz6 unless you open them up (thus voiding warranty). The dual avengers are a superior light to the cobra 2x, so I’d rely on them for your primary front warning, and the linear optics provide great off axis (but aren’t ideal for punching thru tint). You have 2 mounting options:
1) both on headliner (on each side of RVM)
2) 1 centered on lower dash with the other on the passenger side headliner like how NYSP used to do. I used to do this with my POV because I like having 3 levels of lighting (grill, lower dash, headliner) and I’m tall, so having a talon/avenger on the driver side of the RVM would be annoying for me. It worked very well for me).

If you have leftover $ or wanna upgrade later on down the road, I’d get a pair of red SOS intersectors to mount under the side mirrors (good for intersection & side warning)

Last edited:

NCFF/P

Nov 24, 2016
NC
Sell 4 clear T3’s & Cobra 2x

FRONT:
• 2 Dual Avengers*
• 4 Red T3’s in upper grill (mounted in pairs horizontally so that it looks like a pair of T6 behind grill)

REAR:
• 2 linz6 on LP bracket (the linz6 don’t punch thru tint well so keep them outside)
• Buy 1 pair HAW strobes in brake lights (love HAWs in that era tahoe/suburban)
• Buy a pair of Amber Fusion 40’s (or T3’s if really budget limited) and Mount them to the rear headliner. Rear headliner lights are good for those calls when you’re parked on scene, and amber is arguably the best (IMO) safety/warning color for the rear

* Send the the Dual Avengers to Wilson and have him change the amber diodes so that the dual avengers are all red. You can’t sync them with the linz6 unless you open them up (thus voiding warranty). The dual avengers are a superior light to the cobra 2x, so I’d rely on them for your primary front warning, and the linear optics provide great off axis (but aren’t ideal for punching thru tint). You have 2 mounting options:
1) both on headliner (on each side of RVM)
2) 1 centered on lower dash with the other on the passenger side headliner like how NYSP used to do. I used to do this with my POV because I like having 3 levels of lighting (grill, lower dash, headliner) and I’m tall, so having a talon/avenger on the driver side of the RVM would be annoying for me. It worked very well for me).

If you have leftover $ or wanna upgrade later on down the road, I’d get a pair of red SOS intersectors to mount under the side mirrors (good for intersection & side warning)

The dual avengers are the older version with the sync wire, does that allow them to be synced with the LINZ6s? Any reason why you avoided white to the front? I like the idea of a passenger/dash setup. These lights are all used so no issues with warranty.

I've only got 3 red 4 white T3s currently, and the Tahoe is getting old and I've been looking at something newer for a while. I think I might do Cobra high in the dash, and have 6 T3s in the upper grille, W/R/W on each side. Have them synced so it's all white/all red. Have LINZ6s and dual avengers in the rear until I get something newer.

Once I do get something newer, would you still keep the Avengers and get them swapped, or would you stick with a passenger bar? I may replace the T3 heads with Fusion duals, and a dual color stick for the rear. That'll just leave me with aux lighting to the rear to figure out, probably dual cannons in place of stock bulbs.

Thoughts?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
The dual avengers are the older version with the sync wire, does that allow them to be synced with the LINZ6s? Any reason why you avoided white to the front? I like the idea of a passenger/dash setup. These lights are all used so no issues with warranty.

I've only got 3 red 4 white T3s currently, and the Tahoe is getting old and I've been looking at something newer for a while. I think I might do Cobra high in the dash, and have 6 T3s in the upper grille, W/R/W on each side. Have them synced so it's all white/all red. Have LINZ6s and dual avengers in the rear until I get something newer.

Once I do get something newer, would you still keep the Avengers and get them swapped, or would you stick with a passenger bar? I may replace the T3 heads with Fusion duals, and a dual color stick for the rear. That'll just leave me with aux lighting to the rear to figure out, probably dual cannons in place of stock bulbs.

Thoughts?

Nothing against white to the front at all. I only white that I personally spec is HLF (which u said u can’t use) and some white in lightbars, because I think it’s way overused in many setups (especially the grill area where I feel the excess white, combined with the headlights, drowns out everything else). However, if I’m gonna do white up front, it’s gonna be like you suggested where it’s all Color A flashing then all Color B flashing.

I could be wrong, but I believe you can hook the linz6 and the avengers to an external flasher like a ULF44 to sync. I haven’t personally done this, so def get another opinion on that.

It depends what vehicle you get next. If you get a vehicle where there’s a vehicle specific ILB/brackets, then I’d go with that for sure (maybe keep 1 dual avenger in the low dash), but if you get a vehicle that isn’t very setup friendly, then I’d stick with avengers . I really don’t like them to the rear in your situation, though, because their linear optics aren’t the best suited for punching through tint plus I feel that they’re you’re most powerful warning & they should be to the front of the setup.

I’d def upgrade to the fusion duals and dual color fusion stick (with the 40 degree optics to punch thru tint) on the rear headliner. Cannons work great as a reverse lamp replacement because they can be programmed as clear reverse lights & warning mode.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.