Install help - 2013 GMC Sierra

Bill Boyd

Jul 6, 2010
Avon, NY
I am hooking up my Whelen switch panel in my truck. It needs a power source for the ignition sensor. All the fuses under the dash have power at all times. Does anyone know where I can run a wire so that I can hook up the ignition sensor?

My only other option would be to put it on a cig lighter plug and us that to power up the panel when I go on a call.

Thanks!

(If this is in the wrong forum, please move it or tell me where to put it. Billy B)

NEB

Oct 8, 2015
NE
Any fuses under the hood that are activated by the ignition? That's how I've tapped into things before. Sometimes the in-cab fuses aren't very helpful but the hood usually has a bigger box to tap into.

Reactions: Sparky_911

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
A fellow member who had a '13 Sierra said he used an IGN fuse in the panel under the hood. Typically GM trucks have more than one IGN fuse circuit too so you should have 2-4 to choose from. Use and Add-a-circuit fuse tap.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Your truck should have a MBEC, Mid Bussed Electrical Connector. It will be just to the left of the brake pedal on the fire wall. This is what I used to trigger my 4200 to turn on and also use the RAP, Retained Accessory Power, which is what keeps your radio on until you open your door. I all stays inside the cab, no need to be running extra wires through the fire wall. It works really really well. Good Luck!!

Here's a pic of the MBEC, a link to the upfitter manual and a link to the site I used as a guide for making the relay for it, it'll tell you all you need to know.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2013_BB/2013_LD_FS_CKTruck_081512.pdf

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/109163-rap-how-to-on-nbs-keyed-accessory-power/

ai954.photobucket.com_albums_ae25_esox07_Silverado_Junctionbox_zps05497253.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.