Install help. Wiring-switches-the works!

bdbwtie

Apr 3, 2013
GR, MI
Alright so Im finally getting to the point of starting the install and well basically I need a lot of help. Im working on a Chevy Tahoe 2003. The list of lights and locations have changed numerous times, but here is what I'm going with now. We aren't allowed to respond to scene, only to the station hence the lack of rear warning.

Whelen Responder Con3

Whelen Linz6 x2

Sound off ghost x2

Headlight flasher- to be installed at a later time.

Code 3 3050 siren.

Basically what Ive got my switch box invisioned is goes as follows. 4 switches, first being all warning led and hlf. Second being a SPDT for the siren being able to have wail,yelp and off. The third is the push botton for the horn. The fourth is for aux backup lights.All the switches will be hot without a master so that I can control the siren separate from the lights and vice versa. What is the recommended way to wire this. Do I need a fuse block or can I run say a 14ga wire to the first switch and piggy back to the others?

Im planning on using 14ga wire for the siren speaker, 16ga for the speaker switches. Do I need to run a larger gauge for the power wire? And from what Ive researched I don't need a relay for the siren?

Next, the 2 linz6 and 2 ghost are all to the front. Should I run a separate power wire for all of them or can I wire all 4 into one power feed? And what gauge if I can wire them together. And if I have to wire them all separate how to I connect all the powers to one terminal?

Next, can I safely trigger 4 modules plus the responder off one switch? Do I need a relay for this?

Also sometime down the road I would like to replace the responder with a fullsize liberty when funds allow. How different would I have to wire for the liberty. Id prolly want to have it setup on one switch if it had flashing takedowns as I wouldn't use them for anything other.

After much reading and research Im beginning to think the relays aren't really necessary for what I have.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
what is a speaker switch?

mike001

Mar 25, 2013
Providence RI
You don't need 14 awg for the speaker its over kill and you need a dpdt for the siren it's an interesting siren when it comes to wiring it.The first time I did that model it took me a while to install based on the fact it's different than all other siren amps I've done.I recommend looking at the manual before doing this siren.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.code3pse.com%2Fpublic%2Fmedia%2Finst_3000-3050_seriessirens_t00820_rev_9.pdf&ei=obo5U9zkI7izsASG7oCYAg&usg=AFQjCNFBWA9kvs4PKVPHeSUoCbIokievQw

Reactions: Subway

bdbwtie

Apr 3, 2013
GR, MI
mike001 said:
You don't need 14 awg for the speaker its over kill and you need a dpdt for the siren it's an interesting siren when it comes to wiring it.The first time I did that model it took me a while to install based on the fact it's different than all other siren amps I've done.I recommend looking at the manual before doing this siren.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.code3pse.com%2Fpublic%2Fmedia%2Finst_3000-3050_seriessirens_t00820_rev_9.pdf&ei=obo5U9zkI7izsASG7oCYAg&usg=AFQjCNFBWA9kvs4PKVPHeSUoCbIokievQw

It is definetly a different setup. I am quite familiar with the way it works though and I do have a dpdt switch for it as I have had it wired up previously to test its working condition( I bought it used). I know the manual recommends 16 awg for it, but seeing as it is a 200w capable siren and adding the second speaker if I ever went that route would increase the amps so I figured it would be best on the safe side.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.