Installing a pin switch

Jsherman88

Nov 30, 2014
NY
Hello everyone,

Looking for information on installing a pin switch so I can install recessed lights on the bottom of the rear trunk door to activate when the trunk is open and turn off when it is closed.

I would like to run the switch to current wiring I have in the area powering a cobra 400 stick. Switch is on w/closed trunk = just cobra lights up
Switch is on w/open trunk = recessed lights and cobra light up.
switch is off w/open trunk = no cobra or recessed lights

any help on installing and wiring these would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
Most pin switches will use the ground. Switch pushed in lights off(no ground)
Switch pops out, ground connects. Lights turn on.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
This project sounds like a prime candidate for using a relay. The trigger for the relay could be the factory trunk light.

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
This project sounds like a prime candidate for using a relay. The trigger for the relay could be the factory trunk light.
this can work also...However, depending on the vehicle,year make and model, you need to be careful that you have the correct voltage.. some of the newer vehicles are using a lower voltage led for domes, and some tie into the veichles CAN Bus, and can cause damage... just my experience

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.