Installing an SXTDLED Super High Intensity Take Down LED kit in a Whelen Liberty SX

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Recently, I purchased a quantity of Whelen SXTDLED kits to use in custom Liberty lightbar projects I am working on. The Whelen SXTDLED kit does not come with instructions. Here is how I installed them in a 48.5" Liberty SX:

1. Remove the end caps.

2. Remove all lenses.

3. Slide out and disconnect the corner LED modules.

4. Remove the top aluminum cover.

5. On the front side of the lightbar, disconnect the LEDs and slide out the 1st 3 modules and bucket retainers.

6. Disconnect the two halogen take downs (located in the center of this particular bar)

7. Slide out the two halogen take downs and retaining buckets.

8. Remove making tape from new SXTDLED module retining clip.

9. Slide in two SXTDLED modules.

10. Locate the center of the two SXTDLED modules in the center of the bar (22" exactly - from each end of the aluminum extrusion base) and remove the thin, static cling type, protective film from the front of the actual LED modules - it is easy to overlook this film.

11. Tighten set screw in retaining clip.

12. Connect SXTDLED modules to original halogen take down wire harness connectors.

12a Alternate: Install new wire harness to the two SXTDLED modules and plug into the take down connector port on the I/O board. The correct connector port is located at the tip of the screwdiver in the photos below.

13. Slide the 3 LED modules and retaining buckets back into the bar and connect to wire harness.

14. Install top aluminum cover.

15. Connect the corner LED modules to the wire harness and slide into place.

16. Install all lenses.

17. Install end caps.

18. Test.

19. If test is okay, then install is done.

20. If test is not okay - seek help from someone other than me.

Note 1: I am now installing these in positions #2 and #5 (instead of positions #3 and #4). That puts both of them in between a colored LIN6

Note 2: If you want to keep your warning lights horizontal and adjust your SXTDLEDs downwards, a user supplied spacer can be fabricated and added to the rear of the SXTDLED mounting brackets. That will tilt the take down light downwards without affecting the warning lights.

It is very easy to do. You can use a piece of 1/16" or 1/8" x 3/8" aluminum bar stock cut to the width of the SXTDLED mounting bracket and super glue it to the bottom rear of the mount. Snug the attaching clamp to where the front edge is resting on the bar frame as normal and the bar stock is also resting on the frame. The take down light will be pointed downwards and your warning lights wil remain horizontal (even more so now - being able to be tweaked by your adjustable feet).

Another option is use 1/16" x 3/8 " aluminum bar stock and double side tape it to the bottom and that way, you can remove it easily and add more thickness, if desired.

What is in the kit:

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Whelen_20SXTDLED_20kit_DSCF007710.jpg

Unwrapped:

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Whelen_20SXTDLED_20kit_DSCF00809.jpg

Rear view:

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Whelen_20SXTDLED_20kit_DSCF00799.jpg

Screwdriver tip rests on take down port on I/O board:

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Whelen_20SXTDLED_20kit_DSCF00986.jpg

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_Whelen_20SXTDLED_20kit_DSCF00996.jpg

Installed in a Liberty (350V8S10 is my eBay ID):

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_lights_20for_20sale_DSCF01116.jpg

Thank you for looking at my thread.

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
MEVS06 said:
Chief what are the exact dimensions on each of the LED TDs, I would like to retro fit a set in my Legend if they are small enough.

Joe,

They are 5-3/8" long & very close to 1-7/8" high. From the front of LEDs to the back of the aluminum base plate is: 3-1/8" overall.

The wire harness is made in a "Y" manner with a seperate lead going from the common I/O port AMP connector to each of the AMP connectors that plug into the LEDs. The overall length of the harness is 31" from I/O port connector to LED connectors.

Thanks for asking.

Terry

PS. The way the flat plate base these mount on is made, these can easily be mounted to any flat surface via drilling holes and using screws or bolts , glue, double sided tape, etc. The retaining clip that attaches these to the Liberty base just falls off the base if not tightened to the Liberty extrusion or retained by tape like shown in the photo - leaving a smooth flat plate base.

Last edited by a moderator:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Ok, I now must sell something to buy a set from you if you still have one. Anyone want to buy a Black 05 F150, don't worry Station 3 will never figure out his truck is missing hehe j/k. I will call you some time this weekend and figure something out. Thanks.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Great little "How-To" Terry!!! I have to admit, the first time I cracked open a Low-Current bar, I was a bit intimidated...

This is great for the firts-timer just starting into the world of customizing his lightbar...

jluisi86

Jul 12, 2010
Poconos, PA
I just installed these myself in my Liberty replacing the 3 LED version TD so I didn't have to mess with adding or finding the correct port. I had to do it blind because they don't come with instructions and I never removed the top cover before. These TDs are worth every dollar that they cost, very bright!

Very nice how to and the pictures make it that much better!

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I just bought a set of those exact TDs from Terry to add to my bar, which already has a pair of them front and back. This third pair will give me four to the front.

As it is I don't bother using my high beams anymore, two heads just drown them out and have a greater range. Should be interesting with four.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Solvarex said:
I just bought a set of those exact TDs from Terry to add to my bar, which already has a pair of them front and back. This third pair will give me four to the front.

As it is I don't bother using my high beams anymore, two heads just drown them out and have a greater range. Should be interesting with four.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :thumbsup:

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Thanks very much to Terry for providing this guide as a reference, and for selling me a great product. Installation was very easy though I needed to fabricate a Y-harness to connect the second pair of lamps to the same circuit. Whelen will tell you this configuration isn't possible, but then again Whelen will tell you a lot of things that aren't necessarily true. Amp draw of the SXTDLED is rated at 1.5A, halogen at 3A, so four SXTDLED should only pull as much current as two halogen takedowns.

With two SXTDLED, you don't need high beams. With four, you don't need headlights.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_4166.jpg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Solvarex said:
Thanks very much to Terry for providing this guide as a reference, and for selling me a great product. Installation was very easy though I needed to fabricate a Y-harness to connect the second pair of lamps to the same circuit. Whelen will tell you this configuration isn't possible, but then again Whelen will tell you a lot of things that aren't necessarily true. Amp draw of the SXTDLED is rated at 1.5A, halogen at 3A, so four SXTDLED should only pull as much current as two halogen takedowns.

With two SXTDLED, you don't need high beams. With four, you don't need headlights.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Lights_IMG_4166.jpg

:hearts: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :salivate: :hearts: :salivate: :hearts: :salivate: :hearts: :salivate:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.