Installing lights in Tahoe grille

majormaz

Feb 20, 2011
nj
I am looking to install a dominator lightbar in the grille of my 09 Tahoe. Based on anyone's previous installs in a Tahoe, would you place the bar in the upper or lower portion of the grille opening?

Also.. do you have to take the whole bumper off to gain access to mount the light?

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
I can't remember the best portion of the grille, but you will have to take the whole bumper off. It's really simple and can be done in 10-30 minutes. Mostly 10mm and 8mm IIRC :thumbsup:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
The upper opening of the grill would be the best place to mount a light stick. It will put the light at or just above mirror level on cars.

majormaz

Feb 20, 2011
nj
Little concerned about taking the whole bumper off. Is there a diagram anywhere that describes the process to take it off?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
It SOUNDS alot worse than it is. Don't think of it as taking the bumper off... think of it as removing an access panel.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
FEVER said:
It SOUNDS alot worse than it is. Don't think of it as taking the bumper off... think of it as removing an access panel.

This. It is basicly just a large plastic panel. Make sure to not lay it face down on concrete though lol

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
You can do both areas, but the upper grill is more effective in terms of visibility IMO.

Tahoes are very easy to work with; pretty much everything on a basic install pops out real easily with a few basic tools

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
majormaz said:
Little concerned about taking the whole bumper off. Is there a diagram anywhere that describes the process to take it off?

If you open the hood, remove the 10mm near the grille. Then in the wheel wells, there will be a couple 7 or 8mm bolts. Under the bumper will be some more 7 or 8mm bolts. Then unclip one side from the wheel well, hold the bumper, and repeat for the other side. It's pretty simple

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
white you have that off you might as well install a wig wag flasher or hideaways into the headlights. One of my favorite looks on a Tahoe is headlight flasher, white HAW's and some Red and blue grill lights.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.