Installing Traffic Advisor on Ambulance

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
We’ve got an old Type 1 ambulance that we’ve converted to a multi-purpose squad. Traffic control is a big part of its job, and eventually I’d love to have a full-size arrow board on the roof, but that’s not in the cards right now, so instead I’d like to do a StrobesnMore traffic advisor above the rear doors.

We’ve got several folks in the department comfortable with wiring, myself included, but none of us have any experience with an ambulance. Any tips for keeping this project in house rather than paying an installer?

Dave F

Sep 13, 2015
Berks County, PA
Ive not installed one, but having knowledge of ambulances and boxes and seeing the installation on our own rigs, best way is through box at top, removing rear panel above the doors and snaking it through the channel above the ceiling mounted hand rail, into the oxygen compartment which has a pass through into the cab. Bear in mind I have not actually attempted this and is merely my SWAG (scientific wild @ss guess)

Nor is this a site/staff recommendation, only my own personnal opinion

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
So much fun..... This isn't an easy job. The inside of the front console is a rats nest of factory, radio, and other aftermarket wires. First find your power and ground; in the console you should have lugs for ground, constant hot, battery switch hot, and/or hot ignition. Hook to those as desired (constant or ignition or battery switch) and install the controller. Once you are hooked up the "fun" begins. There should be a run of wires from the console to the electric cabinet in the box. There are often a few "pull through" wires. If that main channel is full there is often a separate one for antennas (factory or radio service installed). Bridging the cab to the box is the hard part. You can always punt and just run it through the pass through door or window.... but remember the box and cab move independently in a type 1 and you have to use flexible channels. Once you have gotten to the electrical cabinet the hard decisions are over with. From there you can use the antenna channel in the ceiling. There should be dome lights or plates that can be removed for antenna access. Bridge from the electrical cabinet to that first antenna access spot. From there you can run the antenna channel (or go dome light to dome light) to the back of the truck. Usually the panel above the rear doors removes, or if you have a pointless clock that doesn't work installed there, you can just pull that sometimes. That will get you from console, to electric cabinet and finally to the rear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave F

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.