Installing Vertex's in 07 Chevy Tail light which side of bulb?

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
So I'm going to be installing my Amber Whelen Vertex's in the reverse housing area of my tail lights. From those of you whom have installed in Chevy's, which side of the reverse bulb do I want to mount that will give the best output? I've seen videos of them mounted on either side, but you know videoed output doesn't always give the best feedback.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I've got Cannons in my 07 Silverado tails. There's 3 good ways, in the side wall, oem bulb replacement, or below the oem bulb pointing up at an angle.

Sidewall will fill the housing with light but is much brighter from side approach.

Oem bulb replacement is best but you would need multi mode amber/white lights.

Mounted pointing up at an angle works almost as good as oem, you will need some RTV sealer or silicone around the hole though.

I'm on mobile right now, I have a few threads showing the different ways I've mounted them, when I get to PC I'll put the links here

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
I forgot to ask if the tail lights are double wall or single wall? I have my 1" hole saw but don't know if I need to purchase a 1 1/2" also.

NEB

Oct 8, 2015
NE
I forgot to ask if the tail lights are double wall or single wall? I have my 1" hole saw but don't know if I need to purchase a 1 1/2" also.
Is yours the 07 Classic like mine is or is it the next body style?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I used a 1 inch diameter hole saw. Not a wood bit, an actual saw toothed hole saw. Start the hole by running the drill in reverse until it etched a complete circle then switch to forward.

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
I saw the picture of you mounting it from the bottom at an angle. Do you happen to have any photos of that process? How did you get the HAW to rest at an angle?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I don't have any photos of the process, just of the completed install. For the upward angle shot you have to be careful and judge it by eye. If the Vertexes are a bit taller (like the old Feniex Fairys) then any way you mount them will net a good result. Here is what I have for photos.

2013 Silverado firing up.....
20160403_130834.jpg

My 2007 Silverado with a cannon in the factory reverse hole and an extra in an old strobe hole.
20151228_110019.jpg

Reactions: StEaLtH2 and Tony P

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
Thank you for the images. I have the competition series. Got them installed today. Mounted them to the inside of the oem bulbs and they came out great. Bright enough to be seen during the daytime.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.