Interesting Plow Trucks

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Various types of plow rigs in this video. Some NSFW language in the video. I guess you can put a plow on anything, but everywhere I've lived large plows have always been dump trucks, so I found these to be interesting. Sorry if it's a re-post - I didn't find it in search.

Love the old school yellow plow / dump rig at about 3:50. That's a real plow with real lights!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Alot of large contract companies, and even many (often smaller) public works use semi trucks for plowing.

:yes:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Still works for me...

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Window at top showed up black for me then you posted yours and its fine now. Cool Thanks........The yellow truck is Bad A$$. Surprising that some of them hardly have any lighting, like the one showing just the 4 ways flashing in the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Plow vehicles around here are usually VDOT (Virginia DOT) or county/city owned dump trucks fitted with a plow and a sander, but VDOT also contracts with private companies. Again, they are usually dump trunks fitted with plows. In big snow storms I have seen garbage trucks fitted with plows and the use of front end loaders and road graders to clear the snow from the streets.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
NYS DOT uses their semi's for plowing, they actually install a spreader over the hitch.

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_nysdot_lowboy_and_water_tanker.jpg

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_nysdot_2000_international_s_series_snow_plow.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
MESDA6 said:
Love the old school yellow plow / dump rig at about 3:50. That's a real plow with real lights!

Best plow setup I've seen in a while.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
JohnMarcson said:
Best plow setup I've seen in a while.

That's a '50's vintage Oshkosh WT Series truck. Originally designed to clear the runways at USAF Strategic Air Command (bombers) bases. Oshkosh's are still the most awesome plow trucks around.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Sarge619 said:
That's a '50's vintage Oshkosh WT Series truck. Originally designed to clear the runways at USAF Strategic Air Command (bombers) bases. Oshkosh's are still the most awesome plow trucks around.

I keep looking at that thinking I want one to restore......that could be an expensive thought, but think of the old school lighting possibilities!

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
August Arborists said:
Great vid. thanks, love to see plows at play. The Autocar at 6:43 has the Duck on it's hood from "Convoy"! Too funny, great old song and movie ("Even got a bear in the air"). =QUOTE]

At 2:42 or so, I had a great sinking feeling, were those Visibars with Twin Beacons on the cars?? Too bad they were destroyed :(

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Funny how the pop from that Dietz beacon on the yellow truck is brighter than any of the other lights.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
FireEMSPolice said:
Can you rotate that?..lol

Viewing instructions are as follows:

Grasp laptop with both hands firmly.

Rotate clockwise 90 degrees.

View Photo

LOL yea I don't know how to rotate it.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
badge22 said:
Funny how the pop from that Dietz beacon on the yellow truck is brighter than any of the other lights.

Yep, the old sealed beam bulb is still pretty darned effective.

spc2315

Mar 27, 2011
Connecticut
very intesting to see a tractor with a plow on it, im used to seeing plows attached to dump trucks around here

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
AK plow trucks:

anopeople.com_homepage_Today_images_7W9C4490_1_20DOT_20plow.JPG

Anchorage bowl, they use semi sanders... as in, the entire trailer is a sander unit.

You'll also see tons of graders used in teams of up to 5 clearing entire roads.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
HFD eng1ine said:
Yes they do everything. They wait until told to go out and they work their areas until told to come back.

Pretty cool. I wish my guys would work that hard.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
....and it has LED driving lights and flashing RED LED rear lights (Look at all those available surfaces. What a nifty platform to go plow-whacker with).

Introducing - ROBOPLOW:

ROBOPLOW - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Retired1 said:
....and it has LED driving lights and flashing RED LED rear lights (Look at all those available surfaces. What a nifty platform to go plow-whacker with).

Introducing - ROBOPLOW:

ROBOPLOW - YouTube

Now thats COOL !!!!!! :thumbsup:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Buy yours today at the low, low price of $15,000!!! Don't wait, or else this deal is gone!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.