Interior Compartment Warning Light

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
These are to go inside the compartment doors, so when it opens, it flashes for oncoming traffic. Combining that with retroreflective tape

litning

May 21, 2010
Central NH
my dept has been evaluating a bunch of new ambulances and some have large LEDs and some have the tiny whelen leds (os series)... at night, those tiny ones aren't too bad. Combine those with some chevrons or just some red/white alternating tape and it should be pretty effective.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I've seen TIR 6's that look awesome, but that's a lot of money for a light that is only on when the door is open. I like the 4 head lights that look kind of like vertex's (that may be the os's people were talking about, I'm not familiar)

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
On the ambulances we have amber par36 (gen1) for the compartment doors like the o2 access panel and the turnout gear/triage compartment, and for the side door to the rear of the rig we have a 700 series superled in red.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
kinnelonfire75 said:
On the ambulances we have amber par36 (gen1) for the compartment doors like the o2 access panel and the turnout gear/triage compartment, and for the side door to the rear of the rig we have a 700 series superled in red.

Thats a nice size.....the rep was trying to sell me on Whelen 500 heads, but I don't bow to the Federal/Whelen gods.......

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
The reason that Whelen is so popular on rigs is the LIghts last. Imagine putting Chinease LED's on rigs. You get what you pay for and if an agency is spending over 150k on an ambulance they want stuff that lasts. Im sure you can find a good led light made in the USA to meet your budget. I sell Tomar lights they cost a little more but once a costumer buys one I have yet to receive a complaint. Stick to the US made products.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Something around that size or bigger made by whelen, federal, tomar, code 3.... really any major maker would work just fine. What ever is the cheapest the dealer can get for a GEN 3 with 5 or more LEDs per head should be fine. Certian builders seem to use certian brands. It used to make sense to keep specing the same brand of lights specifically on each unit when bulbs were an issue. Now I exspect the LEDs to outlast the vehicle...

What ever you get make sure the light is 100% flush or it will be torn off while removing equipment. Par36 are an excellent choice for this. You can get some nice compartment illumination par 36 LEDs to match. But...I would be fine with the whelen 500 as long as they can get it flush mounted.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.