Interior Lightbar behind tint...

EMSChief1

Jul 17, 2010
NY/NJ
I have a 2007 Ford Explorer and I'm looking to upgrade to an interior lightbar. I currently have a 15% tint strip on the upper windshield and would like to keep it. I know it will reduce the effects of the lightbar, but I already had one window smashed and dashlight stolen off the dashboard. At least the tint strip will hide the light from wandering eyes.

Anyway, I see Whelen and Soundoff both make a vehicle specific interior lightbar for the Explorer. It also appears FedSig makes one for the F-150, which would probably fit in the Explorer as well.

What are your opinions on the different lights behind 15% tint? Which one would be more effective?

Soundoff Pinnacle (I read somewhere you can customize it to use the takedown modules in color to punch through tint better). Looking for the opinions on the standard light and if anyone has changed out the modules.

Whelen Inner Edge (both the TIR model and the LINZ6 model).

FedSig ILS (most expensive off all) but looks really bright.

If anyone has pics or videos behind tint as well I'd appreciate it to help with my decision.

and lastly the SVP Starburst Phantom

May 22, 2010
Central WV
The Pinnacle will do just fine behind the tint. You can have the TIR style TD lenses put over all the lights in the bar to give a better forward punch, but in doing so you will loose a fair amount of your off axis. If you use the Fusion Technology lens's then you will still get a good forward punch through the tint, but still retain your off axis light.

In reality, any of the bars you mentioned will get the job done and be plenty bright for you. It is more a question of which do you prefer, how much do you want to spend, and do you want a custom designed bar that will fit your window.

PM me and let me know if you have any specific questions about the Interior Pinnacle or if you want a quote on one. Hope the above helps some.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I've personally seen the Pinnacle and ILS through 5% on local Chargers and both look good. I prefer the ILS because it is larger (thus, 'larger light') but the SOS packs a punch.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
EMSChief1 said:
Soundoff Pinnacle (I read somewhere you can customize it to use the takedown modules in color to punch through tint better). Looking for the opinions on the standard light and if anyone has changed out the modules.

I was one of the first people that switched out the Fusion optics for TIR on my interior pinnacle...in my Tahoe... I left one set of fusion optics to help with the off-axis warning, but I have inner-beams etc for intersection warning. I have mine behind 35% tint, and was quite dissapointed with the output when using fusion optics... putting the TIR optics on it drastically improved the output and is the ONLY way I would feel comfortable responding with it behind tint... but that's me...

Seth

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
The F150 Fed Sig ILS will NOT fit the Explorer. I just sold my ILS to get a Pinnacle. I had to use a CVPI shroud and did A LOT of cutting to make it fit and it just did not work as well as a vehicle-specific shroud. Get one made for your Explorer. I believe the SV is not nessasarily custom made for vehicles but rather the brackets are. Someone confirm this?

Spencer, does the Pinnacle come with the TIR optics or are they optional purchase?

View videos of Pinnacles below.

http://lonestarpse.com/20chta3.html

http://lonestarpse.com/2010cvpi.html

http://lonestarpse.com/20doch.html

The ILS, IMO, is the brightest but not one available for Explorer.

The STarburst is on par with a SV56. It is bright but for the price I would just go with a Pinnacle.

Inner EDge, I havent seen one in person.

My vote is for Pinnacle. It has a nice small foot print, blends in well but bright for the size.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Klein said:
Spencer, does the Pinnacle come with the TIR optics or are they optional purchase?

The pinnacle didnt come with the tir optics when i bought it... i called SOS and they sent me additional optics...

Seth

EMSChief1

Jul 17, 2010
NY/NJ
C17LVFD said:
I was one of the first people that switched out the Fusion optics for TIR on my interior pinnacle...in my Tahoe... I left one set of fusion optics to help with the off-axis warning, but I have inner-beams etc for intersection warning. I have mine behind 35% tint, and was quite dissapointed with the output when using fusion optics... putting the TIR optics on it drastically improved the output and is the ONLY way I would feel comfortable responding with it behind tint... but that's me...Seth

Any pics? Video with the TIR optics?

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Klein said:
The F150 Fed Sig ILS will NOT fit the Explorer. I just sold my ILS to get a Pinnacle. I had to use a CVPI shroud and did A LOT of cutting to make it fit and it just did not work as well as a vehicle-specific shroud. Get one made for your Explorer. I believe the SV is not nessasarily custom made for vehicles but rather the brackets are. Someone confirm this?

View videos of Pinnacles below.

http://lonestarpse.com/20chta3.html

http://lonestarpse.com/2010cvpi.html

http://lonestarpse.com/20doch.html

The ILS, IMO, is the brightest but not one available for Explorer.

The STarburst is on par with a SV56. It is bright but for the price I would just go with a Pinnacle.

Inner EDge, I havent seen one in person.

My vote is for Pinnacle. It has a nice small foot print, blends in well but bright for the size.

Charlie, the Interior Pinnacle comes with the Fusion modules in it standard (unless they are the TD modules and those are TIR). It can be ordered with the TIR style optics instead (or in any combination of Fusion and TIR you want). I've never called and asked for additional optics for Interior Pinnacles to change out, so I'm not sure if they charge you. Seth says they sent them for free, but I can check an see if this is regular practice or not if you would like. Sound Off is pretty easy to get along with so it wouldn't suprise me that they were free. They are very driven on making sure the customer is happy with their product. Let me know if anyone has any other questions. Hope that helps.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Awesome. I might do a combo of optics wheb I get it in. I am waiting for it. I think it was ordered weds so who knows how long till it is here. Thanks.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Not sure what level tint mine is but its alot darker than most cars. You cant see it ehen its off at all but when its on it doesnt seem to lose any power. I like my starburst, plus its the onky one that would fit in my windshield without trimming it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.