Interior Lightbar Fit Question

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
I've just purchased a 2007 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 Crew Cab to replace my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. My experience with equipping the Dodge left much to be desired, and the numerous electrical problems I've had with the exterior lightbar (MX 7000) and the sirens were cost-prohibitive. Needless to say, this GMC is very nice with extremely low mileage (13,000 original), and I really don't want to mount an exterior lightbar on this one.

My FD position does require me to respond to the scene the majority of the time, and I do need 360 coverage. I'm planning to purchase a truck cap, and I'd like to install an amber traffic advisor with red end modules. However, for the front, I'd like to get an interior lightbar, and relayed this to the local dealer (Whelen/Federal Signal/Code 3), and he informed me that none of those manufacturers will recommend their version for this model-year truck.

Are any of you aware of an interior lightbar that will fit this truck with little to no modification? I'm going to install an HLF and a Setina PB450L for additional warning to the front, and this should provide adequate warning coverage in lieu of an exterior lightbar. FYI, this truck is the last-run production model based on the GMT-800 platform, which ran from 1999-2006, and continued into 2007 as the Classic edition.

Many thanks for your assistance!

May 22, 2010
Central WV
I don't know of any interior lightbars in current production that specifically fit your vehicle. I would imagine that there are a few that are easily modified to fit your vehicle.

Your plan for your warning lights sounds like you have just about everywhere covered. You might think of some HAWs or a TLF to the rear. I would do the TA in the rear window instead of on the truck cap (assuming you are meaning the one that literally caps the bed, and not a topper that gives you a cab height covered bed). Some lights on the side of your PB will give you intersection coverage. You could put a small light in the rear side windows or in the topper window if you get that instead of a cap for side coverage.

Hope this helps.

PM sent.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
Thank you for your suggestions, sir.

With regards to forward-facing warning signals, I've given some thought to perhaps purchasing two single Avengers with the headliner mounts, and synchronizing them with the Whelen LED modules integrated into the Setina PB-450-L Push Bumper. That bumper has two forward-facing integrated modules and one on each side as well. That and the HLF should do the job well for that application.

I'm thinking about SoundOff's Intersector Mirror Lights, should that work with the Z71 mirrors on my truck. That'll provide nice side coverage. With regards to the rear, I'm planning to purchase an actual cap (cab-high topper)--not a tonneau cover. The traffic advisor would be mounted on the inside of the cap and face rearward. I'll think about installing Whelen Vertex modules in the front turn signals and rear brake and turn signals, although that would be a compliance issue with PennDOT regulations.

Againk thanks for your help!

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Kevin K. said:
Thank you for your suggestions, sir.

With regards to forward-facing warning signals, I've given some thought to perhaps purchasing two single Avengers with the headliner mounts, and synchronizing them with the Whelen LED modules integrated into the Setina PB-450-L Push Bumper. That bumper has two forward-facing integrated modules and one on each side as well. That and the HLF should do the job well for that application.

I'm thinking about SoundOff's Intersector Mirror Lights, should that work with the Z71 mirrors on my truck. That'll provide nice side coverage. With regards to the rear, I'm planning to purchase an actual cap (cab-high topper)--not a tonneau cover. The traffic advisor would be mounted on the inside of the cap and face rearward. I'll think about installing Whelen Vertex modules in the front turn signals and rear brake and turn signals, although that would be a compliance issue with PennDOT regulations.

Againk thanks for your help!

Gotcha. No problem! Let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you or if you are interested in quotes on anything. :)

May 21, 2010
Delafield, WI
Two forward facing single Avengers with the PB lights you would be fine, however and interior lightbar is a nice touch. There are many "universal" type fitting bars out there but I would suggest to avoid those at all costs. They may be bright, but they fit horribly. I though Whelen made and Inner Edge at one time for your truck, I am not sure if they still make it tho. You could always put a SoundOff Ultralite or Whelen Dominator Series light in the windshield and fab up some visor brackets.

Don't forget to post pictures! And good luck with lights in the truck cap, big ole' pain.

Andrew

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Just a thought but GMC and Chevy are/have been pretty much the same vehicle and/or body style. You could try to find an interior bar that fit that same model year in a Tahoe, Suburban, or Silverado. They may just match close enough to work. Just my $.02 though.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Jared @ 911Lights said:
I know we have had some great successes installing the Starburst Split Phantoms into non standard police vehicles using the new universal brackets, one end attaches to the center visor clip and the other attaches to the windshield using a suction cup or included rear-view mirror adhesive. It gives you a lot of control over angle and makes it easy to get a snug fit without bending metal.

-Jared
I sent my Assistant Chief your way that ordered the split in R/W. He has a 2500, and said it was pretty simple to install with the universal brackets, and the flashback isn't bad at all. I don't know if my Chief ordered his yet, but is planning on it.

May 21, 2010
Delafield, WI
The new "Universal" brackets for the phantom bars suck. I ended up not using the brackets and made my own, I was really disappointed with the brackets provided. Yes the light is bright, but it just wasn't my idea of a really nice interior bar since you can get a vehicle specific bar for not much more. Over-all, I would never buy one.

RES1CUE

May 24, 2010
Spencer NC
SlickSilveradoZ71 said:
The new "Universal" brackets for the phantom bars suck. I ended up not using the brackets and made my own, I was really disappointed with the brackets provided. Yes the light is bright, but it just wasn't my idea of a really nice interior bar since you can get a vehicle specific bar for not much more. Over-all, I would never buy one.

i have never bought a light that wasnt vehicle specific that i didnt have to modify at in some way shape or form. to me thats the fun of installing lights...fabricating things to make them work to your specific application. i bout a ulb44 from jared. the phantom starburst. it s a super great light. i had to do some modifications to make it fit my 06 silverado but im certainly glad i went with that particular interior bar. super bright. very cost effective and jared was great to deal with. so do your research and just finds what fits ur needs best. if you have to do some modification then so be it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.