Intersection LEDs on 2011 Suburban

chiefolson

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Will have a new Suburban in a few weeks and I really am not wanting to go back with the red 700 LED on the fenders. They work, but they are so BIG there. Have the 10-75 LPB on our Chargers with 500 Amber LEDs and they work great, but with the bumper design, this bracket just won't work. Have designed one that would fit in the OEM "hole" where the LP would go, but it would probably end up pretty bulky looking, even after being painted white. Plan now is to install Vertex in the headlights on the vertical side to provide light outward, while also illuminating to the front.

Thoughts or experiences?

Jon

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
Flush mount LinZ6's on the fender in front of or above the wheel well, and or LinZ6's mounted under the mirrors.

The mirror mounts can be seen in the top left corner of this photo, and the flush mounts for the front bumper are front and center...

http://hugha.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/joes-tahoe-009.jpg

You could also try Federal Signal Viper EXT's or Sound Off Signal's Under Mirror Lights

I would skip the Vertex's and get LAWS or even Sound Off's Universal Undercover LEDs.

tarheel3559

May 23, 2010
North Carolina
chiefolson said:
Will have a new Suburban in a few weeks and I really am not wanting to go back with the red 700 LED on the fenders. They work, but they are so BIG there. Have the 10-75 LPB on our Chargers with 500 Amber LEDs and they work great, but with the bumper design, this bracket just won't work. Have designed one that would fit in the OEM "hole" where the LP would go, but it would probably end up pretty bulky looking, even after being painted white. Plan now is to install Vertex in the headlights on the vertical side to provide light outward, while also illuminating to the front.

Thoughts or experiences?

Jon

Nevermind, I answered my own question. Although, I will say I actually like the 700s on the fender of the Suburbans that you guys are currently running. What I don't like is the strip-lites on the rear sides. Just my opinion though. Do you want the lights lower or higher than the fender for intersection warning? Bumper is pretty much the only other option unless you guys start running brush guards.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
intersectors are a nice side option and do provide intersection warning. if you can afford them, that's def. a solid product to consider getting. however, if you're worried about being seen as you're easing into intersections, something on the fender or side of the bumper would be better, IMHO.

we have the red 700s on one of the suburbans i drove and loved them and didnt personally mind the size cuz it was a dept. vehicle (as opposed to POV or slicktop). the lin6 is smaller and a solid light to consider, and the ghost is even smaller and plenty bright. only piece of advice if you do mount on the fender is to mount a surface mount lower down b/c the fender on the newer tahoes/suburbans tilt upwards (esp. anywhere above the wheel wells). the vertexes are nice and compact, but i'd prefer a larger footprint for surface mounts (my personal preference)

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Seth's hidden LINZ6 in the headlights (if you don't mind the work associated with it; he says it takes a while to do).

chiefolson

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
No problem with the link. The angle of the fender is a significant part of the problem with the 700s. One thing that I may look into is whether you can cut out and flush mount on that lateral side of the bumper - not sure whats behind there to cut into/through. That would place a light directly within the striping, but that's really the only other option to get a lighthead out front and first into the intersection. I've looked at the SOS Intersectors, however with the Mirrorbeam and a LIN6 underneath the mirror using the EBKT6(?) mount, I can cover those angles with what I have. Will maybe take sometime this week to dissect what's under that bumper.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA

chiefolson

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the ideas. I'm working with my installer to evaluate some different options. Do you think that by using a TIR3 in the headlight versus the LIN-style head, you would have less of the light wash into the housing? As we use amber as the intersection light color, I'm looking to minimize the amber effect inside the headlight housing.

Thanks again.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
chiefolson said:
Thanks for the ideas. I'm working with my installer to evaluate some different options. Do you think that by using a TIR3 in the headlight versus the LIN-style head, you would have less of the light wash into the housing? As we use amber as the intersection light color, I'm looking to minimize the amber effect inside the headlight housing.

Thanks again.

I think that using a TIR3 as an intersection light isn't your best option. While there is light that is thrown into the Suburban lighthead, you'll be far better off with a LinZ6 for adequate intersection coverage being able to see it at a variety of angles versus a TIR3. Here's a question... and I'm playing devils advocate... could you justify using a TIR3 over a LinZ6 in court? Obviously, the likelyhood of that is slim, but when I spec out lighting packages, I always keep in the back of my head the potential legal implications and how to best protect your people and equipment. In this housing IMHO the LinZ6 beats out the TIR3 in every way.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
C17LVFD said:
I think that using a TIR3 as an intersection light isn't your best option. While there is light that is thrown into the Suburban lighthead, you'll be far better off with a LinZ6 for adequate intersection coverage being able to see it at a variety of angles versus a TIR3. Here's a question... and I'm playing devils advocate... could you justify using a TIR3 over a LinZ6 in court? Obviously, the likelyhood of that is slim, but when I spec out lighting packages, I always keep in the back of my head the potential legal implications and how to best protect your people and equipment. In this housing IMHO the LinZ6 beats out the TIR3 in every way.

If the lights are SAE Class 1, then you can justify it under SAE which is a 'best practices' industry standard. If they were also compliant under NFPA lower level lighting standards, then you're extra safe. I don't believe the TIR3 is NFPA lower level compliant, but the FedSig Impaxx light is. Or, go with a larger light.

We normally use a pushbumber on the front and just mount lights on the side of that. Problem solved. One of our reseller's install jobs....

[Broken External Image]:http://www.garageplus.org/gallery_images/gallery_768/P10106831.jpg

Also, turn the whites off while you're at scene (NFPA & SAE both say to do this). BTW, love the paint job on that Charger in the background of that picture!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.