Intersection sweeps making a comeback?

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
I remember the halogen days where the Code 3 MX series had intersection sweeps, Federal Signal's Streethawks had intersection sweeps and so on. A nice touch of warning in my opinion. Obviously that died off when LED bars took off but Whelen is releasing LED intersection sweeps called Arges Intersection Sweeps
that look they mount to the A pillar.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
That is actually just an intelligent spotlight. Since it is becoming increasingly difficult to drill spotlights, this one mounts to the fender. One of its options will let it go back to where it was last pointed if it is bumped/moved from the outside. It has a lot of other features too. Nice concept but I defiantly question how well it will hold up to salt and ice.

Reactions: Doug

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I'm looking at ordering a cupple of these new spotlights they seem to be a pretty nice unit these are very similar to the halogen remote spotlights that you can buy (those white ones you see mounted on utility trucks)

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I'm looking at ordering a cupple of these new spotlights they seem to be a pretty nice unit these are very similar to the halogen remote spotlights that you can buy (those white ones you see mounted on utility trucks)
If you just need a standard remote spotlight those would be great. The Whelen one does more then just spot, has programmable/memory options and is very responsive to the controls.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I'm considering these units due to the full integration with the Cincom system running everything from one control head vs a bunch of them

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I would love to find out if theres a dedicated intersection sweep light heads available always liked them in lightbars

supraphonic

Aug 18, 2018
SoCal
Beats the current obstructed field of view position of current pillar mounted spotlights

Prevents the obstructed field of view, and most importantly, prevents diminished crash protection with a compromised frame. With how small good motors are getting these days and with how integrated everything is, unless you're into the idea of a roof-mount spot blocking your lightbar, it's an idea whose time has come.

Reactions: LineSpotter

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Prevents the obstructed field of view, and most importantly, prevents diminished crash protection with a compromised frame. With how small good motors are getting these days and with how integrated everything is, unless you're into the idea of a roof-mount spot blocking your lightbar, it's an idea whose time has come.
THIS :)

Also much more effective than Federals stupid TCL

Reactions: cabunty

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
They also come in black and are magnetic or you can get the magnetic shoe if you want to adapt a mountable one, just needs something under it for keeping it from moving too much.
Golight makes them.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
I LOVE these!!!! Bring em on!!

I remember the old school days of intersection sweeps, reduced intersection accidents significantly. Now with the crap LEDs we have more crashes than ever. Or our new officers are poor drivers.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Coming from a a shop that has sold and installed around 30 of these units, I can tell you they are somewhat of a gimmick. The long term reliability is questionable and they can loose their programming with CORE and require a the file to be re-uploaded. The vast majority of our customers who tried them are going back to the unity spotlights next year.

iamjavimartinez

Jan 7, 2015
Coming from a a shop that has sold and installed around 30 of these units, I can tell you they are somewhat of a gimmick. The long term reliability is questionable and they can loose their programming with CORE and require a the file to be re-uploaded. The vast majority of our customers who tried them are going back to the unity spotlights next year.

i appreciate this info. Aside from the CORE program issues, is there anything else “wrong” with them? I’m contemplating putting one of these on my personal vehicle for night time ranch work. I’m torn between this one and a unity for my 2019 F150. I was hoping these would be supported for a long while as more and more vehicles are coming with airbags in the a-pillar.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
No offense to whelen but why not go with a remote golight, in a Magnetic mount I've gone down the road at 85 mph and never lost one I haven't tried their led version yet though I use the bright halogen.

iamjavimartinez

Jan 7, 2015
No offense to whelen but why not go with a remote golight, in a Magnetic mount I've gone down the road at 85 mph and never lost one I haven't tried their led version yet though I use the bright halogen.

2019 F150 is all aluminum. I have the golight in LED and it is WICKED bright. My other problem with the golight is the wireless remote kinda sucks and it’s hard to get it precisely where you want it.

May 28, 2010
Loveland, Ohio
I've had dual mounted on my FD Tahoe for over a year. Quite frankly, they are excellent as both spotlights and "sweep" warning. We've have a brutal winter and covered in ice and snow-worked every time. And these may be the most affective moving/intersection "warning" lights I've used as far as the response from the public.

Reactions: iamjavimartinez

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.