is a uniden home patrol worth it?

May 22, 2010
New York City
i dont need another scanner as i got tons of radios, but now that its been out a while..

do you think its worth $500????????????

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
There is tons of info on this unit over at RadioReference.com. It will give you an idea of the isuues / pros / cons etc of this unit. I have a 396T that I have failed to keep updated and rarely use since I can click online to get the feed I need. For me, something like the Home Patrol would get more use since the programming and updating is so much easier. For a serious scanner enthusiast / Ham Radio type person, it is probably too low tech.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
In talking with a local electronics store that's the local Radio Shack repair facility, their opinion was the GRE scanners are better for professionals who may use the scanners on tracking local radio calls on trunked systems. If someone traveled, then the Home Patrol may do OK picking up frequencies in the big cities.

However, Nashville, like many major cities, has made using mobile scanners that pick up police frequencies illegal. (Now, enforcing the ordinance may be a problem.) The emergency services I am affiliated with use VHF High Band and UHF 460 MHz, so I don't want to deal out $500 when the same amount of money will get me mobile and portable radios.

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Home Patrol is really not any more expensive than a regular digital scanner; that's essentially what you're getting but with a lot of extra features. If you're on a budget and don't need digital get a BC346XT and use the hot keys to turn systems on and off when you travel between radio systems. That's what I have done for a long time. :)

May 22, 2010
New York City
i been following the radioreference threads for a while, but my key reason for getting it is, that ease of programming.........

im tired of programming by hand, after 20 years this is getting boring, i know i can program by computer too, but i dont want the hassle.... i just want a easy way to listen where ever i go...... and this seems like the way to do it..........

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
tnems7 said:
In talking with a local electronics store that's the local Radio Shack repair facility, their opinion was the GRE scanners are better for professionals who may use the scanners on tracking local radio calls on trunked systems. If someone traveled, then the Home Patrol may do OK picking up frequencies in the big cities.

However, Nashville, like many major cities, has made using mobile scanners that pick up police frequencies illegal. (Now, enforcing the ordinance may be a problem.) The emergency services I am affiliated with use VHF High Band and UHF 460 MHz, so I don't want to deal out $500 when the same amount of money will get me mobile and portable radios.

Illegal? I have lived here all my life and that is the first time I have ever heard that. Do you know which Metro ordinance that is? I just want to see how it reads.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.